Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wazza Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 03:03 AM
    Creating xp disc
    I have purchased a second hand computer which has xp loaded on it but it did not come with an xp disc. I want to transfer the required files from this computer to make a bootable disc so that I can re-install if it is required later.
    Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 04:04 AM
    If you are looking to make an XP OS bootable disc to transfer the OS to another computer then it can't be done - you need the XP CD that came with the system. Another option is to just transfer the hard drive to the other system but that may have other issues related to a Registry that is built on different hardware.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 26, 2006, 05:09 AM
    What you can do is backup your old files (the ones that you need), reinstall Windows XP from scratch, and then put your old files back on there. Use the old Windows key to re-install windows. You can get at that using this utility http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Casey
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2006, 06:16 AM
    You may not have a legal version of XP. If the seller kept the XP CD and installed it on a new PC, then you might run into activation problems in the future.

If you want to preserve the drive for resotration, I would suggest a utility like Norton Ghost. Ghost will create an EXACT clone of your drive onto other media (CD, DVD, external drive). You can create a bootable disk with Ghost that will allow you to restore the cloned image.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creating new math [ 3 Answers ]

My question to you all is how can I have the new math I create checked without worry of someone stealing the ideas or finishing ones that aren't finished?

Chk disc [ 11 Answers ]

Hi Folks, I have checked the sit, I thought this would have been on here but its not. All of a sudden in the last weeks my PC has started to do two strange things. It takes approx 3 to 4 minutes to close down, it hangs on the "Windows is shutting Down" screen before shutting off. Then when...

Creating one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:- C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive) I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\ E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not...

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

Creating a forum [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I'de like to create a forum for my new site. But but I don't know anything about it. Can someone hepl me? I only know the interface part. Thanks

View more questions Search