Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meangene714 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Personal finance software - Quicken vs. online (mint.com)
    Hello there, I've been looking into getting personal finance software to track all of my online accounts (banking, credit cards, IRAs, stocks, etc.). Quicken was my default option because it's the only software that I knew about, at the time. I recently learned about a website called Mint.com that does (basically) the same things as Quicken. The site claims to be safe for reasons including the fact that the only info they require are your user names and passwords (no account numbers), and that you cannot conduct transactions through mint.com. Does anybody have any experience with mint.com or any similar websites? Would I be much better off going with Quicken? Any advice would be appreciated.

Free Personal Finance Software, Online Money Management, Budget Planner and Financial Planning | Mint.com
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2009, 07:12 PM

I've heard of mint, but have no specific experience with it. What I have to question is the value of using an online service. Do you really need to access your financial information from any PC? If that is important then it may be for you.

Personally, I don't see any reason to be able to access my info through the WEB.

Quicken is not the only game in town though. Microsoft Money is viable competitor. There are also a few other personal finance apps out there.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 07:15 PM

I have used Mint.com and quicken, but to be honest, I prefer Microsoft Money because it seems to have more options than Mint.com but less than Quicken, which is what I need.

I run my own business, and money has done just fine for me as well.

Be ware when setting up online services with Money, as Money won't charge you for them, but your bank services may.
    meangene714 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'll read up on Money and maybe download the free trial.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone buy checks (personal and/or business) online? [ 7 Answers ]

It's been years since I last purchased checks online (We buy them in lots of 1000.) - and back then checksunlimited.com had the best deals. Has anyone shopped around recently and found a better deal? Thought I'd ask to maybe save me some surfing time :) Thanks!

Finance and Accounting, Online Education [ 1 Answers ]

Midland Oil has $1,000 par value bonds outstanding at 8 percent interest. The bonds will mature in 25 years. Compute the current price of the bonds if the present yield to maturity is: a. 7 percent. b. 10 percent. c. 13 percent. 7. Go to Table 10–1 which is based on bonds paying 10 percent...

Quicken 2005 [ 2 Answers ]

Why can't I see the deposits in with the checks on the register?

Quicken 2002 [ 3 Answers ]

How does one delete an entire year of transactions at once, i.e. without having to go in and delete one by one? I have used Quicken for many years and have accumulated a great deal of data that I would like to eliminate in yearly chunks without disturbing the categories and accounts I've entered. I...

View more questions Search