Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mystuff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Connect my LPG generator to my house LPG supply
    I have a new portable LPG generaor that I do not want connected to a 20# bottle. I have regulated LPG in the home. I have tried to bypass the generator regulator in hopes I could fuel the generator directly with a 1000 gal LPG supply available as an emergency.

Although the generaor would start and run terribly rough and backfire when hooking the house supply to the generator regulator, I though bypassing to the mixer was an easy answer. After the piping was completed and leak tested, the generator would not start. To make matters worse, now I hear and see LPG gas coming out of the air intake filter to the mixer. I have to assume there is some sort of pressure variation that now causes the gas to flow through the mixer backwards.

Is this a waste of time or is there some sort of kit or list of parts to allow this to happen?:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 05:26 PM

Your going to have to know the flow and pressure required for the generator and the pressure and available flow in the house and select a proper regulator. You may need the manufacturer's help and they may not give it to you.

There is a gas outlet kit that is not sold to consumers for connection to gas grills. This may be what you need for your generator.

There are limits that have to be adhered too such as max inlet pressure and outlet pressure and delivery. This must be used to select regulator.

Here is some inforfor boilers, so that should give you some ideas of what's involved. http://www.buderus.net/LinkClick.asp...id=108&mid=646

There are some links that I have seen on the web for gas propane conversion of small engines and that should give you an idea of volume and pressures required.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 01:06 PM

A company I worked for had a propane furnace for its offices. They had an emergency back up generator that was propane as well. They paid the propane company to come and properly hook up the propane generator to the big propane tank. Didn't cost much and they did it properly with no leaks. Propane is nothing you want to fool around with. Needs to be properly hooked up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I connect my generator to my house? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I have a 5K generator that I want to connect to my house through the main circuit box in my house.. A friend of mine says there is somekind of on/off box that you connect to open the power coming in then another circuit of some kind the plugs into the generator.. has anybody heard of this? I...

Making an extension cord to connect a 240 generator circuit to a 240 house circuit. [ 10 Answers ]

How doo you wire a 4 wire 240 volt plug for a generator to a 3 wire 240 volt house circuit. Thank you... Guy

How to connect a power generator to the circuit breaker [ 1 Answers ]

How to connect the power generator to the circuit breaker

How to connect three phase city supply to generator! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi dear 'ask me' community, I have a 30KW generator with a automatic transfer switch - it has a three phase input U, V, W and N which Needs to be connected to the city power it then has an output that goes to the building. How do I know Which phase of the city supply needs to go to the U, V, W...

Connect water supply to toilet cistern [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best way to connect copper pipe to the threaded plastic inlet of a toilet cistern?

View more questions Search