Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluffys32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 02:57 PM
    How do you attach a pigtail to your dryer
    I have to a dryer that the plug does not fit the outlet and was told to attach a pigtail, the only prob is how do I do that?
    jordan1989 Posts: 48, Reputation: -1

Jan 11, 2009, 03:34 PM
    You should not do that. You need to replace the outlet with the proper one for your dryer. I assume the dryer came with a 4-prong plug, and your existing receptacle on the wall is an old 3-hole type. Be sure you have 4-conductor #10 cable for 30 amps. If not, you will need to replace the cable all the way back to your service panel. For that, buy #10-3 cable with ground. It will have an orange colored outer jacket.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 05:09 PM

I disagree somewhat. We have no idea what we are dealing with, so we really don't know what to suggest.

This could be a 3 wire, a 4 wire, a gas dryer or electric dryer.
    3 wire cords can be used wire dryers in existing locations.

Who knows?

We need a little more info. Post picture of outlet and dryer cord using "go advanced"

Pigtails are permissible under the correct circumstances.

From the way the question was asked, I am uncomfortable with the skills level perceived.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding wire pigtail [ 1 Answers ]

I just changed an exterior light on my older home. I connected the house grounding wire with the light grounding wire. But, the directions mentioned a pigtail grounding wire (not included of course) and there is a green grounding screw on the metal plate. So do I need to get/install a grounding...

Pigtail from 2 switches to receptacle? [ 4 Answers ]

I opened up an electrical box to find a wire hitting the floor. I have one outlet on the left hand side which contains a switch for a light and switch for a fan. It works fine. It has one black wire on one side and two yellow wires on The other side. The right side had an old receptacle that was...

Wiring a 4 wire pigtail to a whirpool dryer 3 connector [ 1 Answers ]

Have a whirpool Senseon dryer that only has 3 connectors and the ground wire is currently screwed to the frame. My new house requires a 4 wire pigtail/plug. Do you just ground the 4th green wire to the frame? Is this acceptable wiring for this 4 wire pigtail?

OK to pigtail from 10ga > 14ga? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I'm putting in a GFCI receptacle in an old house. The wiring is 10ga and I'm having a really hard time working with it -- it doesn't fit well under the screws of the receptacle (Pass & Seymour Trademaster) and it doesn't fit well into the box, even though I calculated the box capacity and it...

220v pigtail how to [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am attempting to wire an "extension cord" that will convert my welders 220 outlet to fit into a dryer style outlet. I know which wire coming out of the welder is the ground, but don't know which of the two hot leads are which or if it matters, as long as hot goes to hot? Any help. ...

View more questions Search