Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wfktaxinfo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 02:51 PM
    1099-A and Fair Market Value
    I have 9 properties and I recently received 3 1099-A stating a balance amount due on the loan . For example, one of my condos had a balance of $130,000 and the FMV (Box 4) stated $145,000. I have County Records showing the Assessed Value of the property is $30,000.

Question: Why is the bank using $145,000 for the Fair Market Value, when the appraised and assess value of the property is really $30,000.

From a tax perspective, is it in my best interest to challenge the Fair Market Value due to the fact, the property has a lesser value that what is stated on the 1099-A.

Last, the properties in questions are being invested by the FBI for mortgage fraud by the developer.

As you can see, I need some asnwers and support

Thanks, wfktaxinfo
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Tax assessed values are NEVER realistic, and are usually artificially low to keep property owners from screaming about high real estate taxes.

Now, if you have a recent professional appraisal that shows a more realistic FMV, then you can challenge the Box 4 FMV with the IRS. It will take a bit of time, but it is worth the effort due to the lower resulting income tax on the "shadow" income that the Form 1099-A shows..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is It A Buyer's Market or Seller's Market.. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello group, would someone please explain to me what determines a "buyer's market" and a "seller's market"? We always hear the "news" of the housing boom busting and now we hear more homeowner's are putting their houses on the market than there are new homes being built, but what does that mean?...

Fair market value [ 3 Answers ]

I have to do a practice set in accounting, when I got to this transaction it stumped me... What do I debit and credit? How much for? Purchased Land and an office building for $145,000, of which $100,800 was attributable to the fair market value of the building. A $55,000 cash down payment was...

View more questions Search