Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Don Stewart Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Days Of Yesteryear
    I was wondering if someone could clarify for me that the days were indeed once faster on earth than they are now. I have read quite a bit in Astronomy how everything in the universe since the big bang has been slowing down and I know there will be a point in the future where the earths rotation will be even longer that 24 hrs and even at a greater time stop spinning all together.

When we look back even to 270 million yrs going further back wouldn't that time actually speed up as we approach that time.
    Back then instead of 24 hrs there was quite a bit less time in the day was there not?

Sorry for theis odd question, but it is something I have thought a lot about

Thank You

Don
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 02:55 AM
    In short, yes, the Earth's rotation is slowing down. The slower the spin the longer the day. Here are a couple of articles about it:

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae695.cfm
    http://novan.com/earth.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7 days late, spotting last 2 days [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My period is 7 days late today. The past couple of days I've been having cramps and I'm always sure my period has started but when I go to the bathroom there's nothing in my underware, just some brown smearing when I wipe. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 months... I tested...

I am 7 days late [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my name is tara And I am upset because I am not streed And I am 7 days late for my p word And my last p word was on the 20 auges 2006 And my nippe end are going brown and I fell sick and sleepy all the time And my homoren are all other the place Please can you help me and I am...

F1 to H1 - just 5 days on F1 [ 6 Answers ]

To Atlantataxexpert I have followed your posts on this forum and request your advice on my case. I am an Indian citizen working on H1B. My H1 started on Jan 6, 2005 and I was on OPT (F1) from Jan 1 to Jan 5, 2005, I was outside the US from Dec 5 to Dec 31, 2005. If I am not wrong, I pass the...

Sptting for nine days - pt [ 5 Answers ]

I have no idea what is going on with my body and it is driving me nuts. I went off the patch in Auguest 2005, for health reasons and I eventually want to give our daughter a sibling. My husband and I have been trying since September, but I did not start charting with the Book until October. By...

Three days late! [ 2 Answers ]

Well I just wanted to thank all of you for your support all the times I had questions. I took a hpt today and... positive... Yes! Chery I'm going to the dr. as soon as I can get in. (I just knew you would say something) I will keep you all posted. I hope that this isn't a false positive and I...

View more questions Search