Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 11, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Anchoring wire in outlet box
    How do I properly anchor this wire in this type of outlet box? I am thinking that because this outlet box is not going to be behind drywall the NM cable must be anchored. That's what my favorite book says is this true or do they just mean J-boxes?

I have round plastic push in kind anochors for J-boxes (used one last night). But I don't know what to do with these square knockouts. Pictures below.

Thanks - John.
    Attached Images

stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 01:14 PM

You don't. Just make sure you staple the cable within 8" of the box.

Jan 11, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Stan,

Like this? Didn't use staples just those nail on wire holders.

Just a side note also thought those nail on ones would be easier to use... They are not!
    Attached Images

Jan 11, 2009, 02:36 PM
    That's fine, but is that box staying exposed like that? If so why not just use a 4x4 metal box?

Jan 12, 2009, 11:24 AM

Yeah your right should have used a metal box. Used that one because that is what I had available. Maybe I will pick up one and swap it out, (like when I get some staples).

On a side note install is done, tested the GFCI outlet and working fine. My tankless hot water heater now has an outlet and not running on an extension cord... :)
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    Stan,

Like this? Didn't use staples just those nail on wire holders.

Just a side note also thought those nail on ones would be easier to use... They are not!
    Most people call those "nail on wire holders" staples. If you go into a store and ask for staples, that's what they're going to show you.

Jan 12, 2009, 01:49 PM
    ZoeMarie,

I know what he means by staples:

Find Cable Staples and other Electrical Connectors at Aubuchon Hardware

But yes the nail on ones are often called staples also. I have noticed the electricans seem to perfer the type above.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 01:53 PM

I do too, I'm just used to the everyone that came into Menards where I used to work asking for staples and what he showed us is what they wanted.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 04:01 PM

How about a 2 gang metal box, 1 switch, 1 receptacle, switch could go up to a light?

Jan 12, 2009, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    How about a 2 gang metal box, 1 switch, 1 recepticle, switch could go up to a light?
    ?? Not what we are talking about
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 05:04 PM
    Codyman - Please look at the box you are using.

The two tabs you see at the top are actually spring loaded (via the plastic tabs). You can run one or more wires into the holes and the tab will press back against them to keep them tight.

That does not mean you can eliminate the staple. Sect. 334.30 of the 2008 NEC code states that NM sheathed cable must be supported every 4.5' and "within 12" of any outlet box, junction box, cabinet or fitting."
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 05:18 PM

Sorry about that, I thought the Box and staple issue was resolved.
    Forget the switch and the light.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 05:21 PM

As far as the square knockouts, only break one side of that square, push cable through into box, THEN Staple. It may be difficult to feed wire into box after it is stapled close to the box as shown.

Jan 12, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Codyman - Please look at the box you are using.

The two tabs you see at the top are actually spring loaded (via the plastic tabs). You can run one or more wires into the holes and the tab will press back against them to keep them tight.
    Don, those boxes are not the ones that hold the cable. You simply break out that little square.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Okay, please educate me. How do I tell the difference between those that lock the cable and those that would require an insert to clamp the cable?

By the way, in re-visiting the images, this box looks like a "New Work box", because of the nails coming from the side. I do see a rather flimsy set of tabs holding the "knockout in place" and the do not appear strong enough to hold air, much less clam a cable into position.

Jan 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Well, like I said, this box does not hold the wires in place. You literally knock out that square.

That is a single gang non-metallic box. No clamp or cable securing is necessary as long as you staple within 8" of the box.

Jan 12, 2009, 08:22 PM

Wow lots of discussion on a job that is already successfully completed...

Jan 12, 2009, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    I do too, I'm just used to the everyone that came into Menards where I used to work asking for staples and what he showed us is what they wanted.
    And the nail in ones don't secure the wire very tightly. About the only advantage to them is they are fool proof meaning you cannot possibly drive the thing in so hard as to damage the wire.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    And the nail in ones don't secure the wire very tightly. About the only advantage to them is they are fool proof meaning you cannot possibly drive the thing in so hard as to damage the wire.
    Yeah, that's what I've heard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire 1ph 208-230v outlet [ 4 Answers ]

Have to wire outlet for commercial freezer unit. Needs 1ph 208-230v. Plug is 15A/250V. Do I run 2 "hot" leads from same phase and one N/G to round pin? Not sure how you get 208-230 from one phase? Thanks - SM

220 4 wire outlet in my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

How to wire a 240 outlet ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I have what I thought a simple project.. ok I have a 5K watt generator that has a 240 v outlet.. I want to connect my 240 v arc welder to it.. only problem is that the plugs are different.. I already have the proper plugs to adapt the connection.. I made a one foot adapter ( pig tail )... my...

View more questions Search