Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jan 10, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Difference in Routers
    I have a wired DLink router that is about 5-6 years old. It still works fine, but what I'm wondering is do the newer routers increase speed? Or what benefits would I gain by getting a new router. (we plan on staying wired) I only paid $40 for mine... I am curious because I use my PS3, and by buying a newer router, would that help connection speed?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 10, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeboy View Post
    ... what im wondering is do the newer routers increase speed?
    For wired home use type routers, generally no, unless there is some sort of problem with the router, its configuration, or its firmware version.

...would that help connection speed?
    A faster Internet connection is what helps the connection speed the most. ;)
    NoDaddy dot com Posts: 101, Reputation: 0

Mar 4, 2009, 03:12 AM
    what benefits would i gain by getting a new router. ..help connection speed?
    Those that support WRT alternative firmwares offer finer grain QoS control
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Mar 22, 2009, 10:05 AM

I was wondering because my router is a $40 ( non -wireless) router that I bought 5-6 years ago... With all the new ones out, I thought maybe a newer one might improve speeds or something... Plus we just purchsed a new laptop with wi-fi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAC filtering on routers [ 3 Answers ]

A quicky for someone. Is MAC filtering safe security for a wifi network?

Wireless routers [ 1 Answers ]

My friends partner has bought her a wireless router for her for her home,he set it up through his laptop, when he is not there she can not get online without him being there with his laptop,(he does not live there), he has also put a password in without telling her what it is, how can she get round...

Routers and DSL [ 4 Answers ]

My default gateway is 10.0.1.1 at home. It's still a private address. DHCP addresses are low numbers (2 computers and a radio) with yearly leases and the fixed IP addresses for printers are high numbers. I can't get to my DSL modem because I am operating in Bridge mode. If anybody can explain...

Is there a difference in routers? [ 4 Answers ]

We have just signed up for DSL and the router came today... We have our own router that we have been using... do I have to hook up their router? Is there a difference in cable routers and DSL routers?

Modem Routers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 pcs at home and am going to get ADSL2 broadband and am in need on some advice as to whether I need a wireless or non wireless modem router. Can you please shed some light on the differences and if I'd need it if I was just going to download, surf and play games on the net. ...

View more questions Search