Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amida Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 07:52 AM
    My mom's hospital bill
    My mom was sent to a hospital because of an accident and she died. I now get a hospital bill in her name. My friend told me that I am not responsible for it. But I don't know if it's true or not. I couldn't find anything online about this. Can someone point me to the right direction? Thanks.
    Superior Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Jul 25, 2006, 09:34 AM
    When my grandfather passed, I was not obligated to pay his debt. When creditors called I advised he was deceased and sent a legal document (death certificate) if asked and that was the end of it.

Don't let anyone intimidate you into thinking you have to pay for these debts as long as you did not co-sign any documentation.

You will only be responsible if you co-signed. However, the estate is responsible so if you mom had anything it will likely be claimed by the creditors.

You should see a lawyer to set up an estate because if you screw up and get some money from the estate then you would be responsible to your mom's creditors.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...nts/P37500.asp

http://www.elderlawanswers.com/resou...ction=4&state=
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2006, 01:14 PM
    I agree with Superior.

YOU are NOT responsible for anyone's bills but your own.

However, if your mother has an estate, that money must be used to pay her bills FIRST, before it gets divided amongst you and your possible siblings.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2006, 07:22 PM
    I also agree with Superior.

Unless you signed a form saying you will pay the bill, you are not responsible.
    Just to be on the safe side you may want to double check with a lawyer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2006, 06:30 AM
    One other point, if the death was a result of an accident, there may be insurance to cover the bills. Without knowing more details about the accident, its hard to advise further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mom's Way Or No Way! [ 15 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone can relate to me. I'm getting married in Sep my fiancé and I have been together a little over three years now. I started planning our wedding about a year ago when we officially announced our engagement. When I first started I was really happy and excited, but now I...

What to pack for the hospital [ 7 Answers ]

I just thought I might ask if I have remembered everything to take to the hospital. I made a list and if anyone can add to it I would love the help. Ok so here it goes... copy and paste... Going home outfit for me Shampoo/conditioner Toothbrush/toothpaste Hair brush Hair ties/clippies Bar...

Responsibility for hospital bill? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in TN. I was hospitalized for depression last year 2 times. My insurance approved my first hospitalization. When I was readmitted a few weeks later, my insurance company again approved my admission which was felt to be semi-urgent. To make a long story short, my insurance company, BC/BS, has...

Doxie pup in hospital [ 13 Answers ]

My three month old doxie, Henry, is in the hospital. He had been fine, woke up at 3:00 AM Monday morning with diarrhea and vomiting. I took him into vet and had him receive lactated ringers. Brought him home. He had eaten food out of his diet (my other dog's food) and I thought it was due to...

Hospital bills [ 5 Answers ]

undefinedundefinedundefined My hubby suffered a heart attack in August, 04. We had health insurance but our hospital co-pay is 4 grand. We never received a bill from the hospital. In the winter we lost our heat for 4 days and became sick & a very mean, ignorant young lady from a collection...

View more questions Search