Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlwhitton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 05:49 AM
    Showers backed up
    While I was taking a shower last night, my wife flushed the toilet in our other bathroom and the toilet in the bathroom I was in started gurgling. After the gurgling stopped the shower would not drain. I used a plunger on the drain in the tub and it would not drain. Now the shower in the other bathroom is backed up with all kinds of black stuff coming out of it. Any ideas
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2006, 05:54 AM
    You need a good snaking of your lines - first from the lines to the stack - then from the stack to the main.

You can rent an electric snake for this but if you're not experienced using one, you'll find it a long and difficult job.

What you're weighing is $50-$75 to rent the snake and probably much of a day to try it yourself, or calling a plumber to do it, which ballparking it will run you $250 give or take $50 depending on what troubles he runs into.

Keep in mind; you may have a broken drain in your yard. If that's the case, then the snaking will only be temporary whether you do it yourself or have a plumber do it.

Either way, the snake is the first step.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer backed up into toliets and tub [ 3 Answers ]

I was washing the other day and heard water running. The toilet and bath tub was filling up with water. Went out to garage and washer drain was making a gurgling sound. Was wondering what I should do to fix this? This has never happened before. Carol

Washer drain backed up [ 5 Answers ]

When my washer drains, it backs up into my nearby heating duct. My home is a slab home. Without tearing up the floor, how can I tell if I have a leak in my drain or if it is just clogged?

Troubleshooting Backed up Drain issue [ 1 Answers ]

This seems obvious, but I have learned to never assume things. I am having problems with drainage backup to my Septic tank. The toilet will flush once, then the second time it backs up and some water will backup into the tub. The tub also backs up after showering for 2-3 minutes. It will backup...

New shower - backed up drain causing leak [ 1 Answers ]

Two months ago, we installed a new stone tile shower -the contractor installed a lead shower pan along with cement bed. Tiles were installed using thin set + Laticrete Superflexible Adhesive; tiles/grout were sealed with 511 impregnator. The shower drain recently backed up creating a 1-inch pool...

Bubbling, backed-up topilet [ 1 Answers ]

In the lats two days we have a downstairs toilet which is bubbling during shower or sink (lower volume) use. Larger volumes of water (draining the tub, doing laundry, or running of the sump pump) causes back-up and/or overflow. Is this a blockage of the main drain or a vent problem or something...

View more questions Search