Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lydiasggma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 07:08 PM
    CAnnot understand instructions for connecting converter box to TV
    My aging brain cannot comprehend what the instructions are telling me when I try to hook up my converter box. The plugs and cords are where they should be, I think. But all I get on the TV screen is: weak signal; no signal; channel not available. I can sometimes get the menu, but I'm unable to activate anything and get any channels. I need someone to walk me through the procedure. I also have a dvd/vhs player hooked up to the TV. There's got to be a technician or someone who will help seniors like me who are technologically challenged.:(
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 08:32 PM

We need the model of the converter box.

You only need a converter box if you have an indoor or outdoor antenna.

Some boxes don't have analog pass through. This allows the current analog broadcast system to work when the box is off.

At a minimum, the following should be true:

1. Connect Antenna coax to IN or (Antenna)
    2. Connect TV to TV or OUT
    3. On the rear of the converter box there should be a CH3/CH4 switch. Usually select a station that doesn't exist in your area. If there is a cha 3 used in your area, select CH4.
    4. Tune the TV to the channel selected.
    5. For now, you can just tune to a station that exists because you may have to add it to your TV. That's another subject.

See if you can get the MENU when the box is on and the TV is tuned to the channel on the back consistently.

My remote, for instance has ON/Video select/Vol+/Vol- that can be programmed for the TV. So, the remote has 2 on buttons. This is the Digital Stream that Radio Shack sells.

Jan 9, 2009, 08:45 PM
    I have an indoor antenna, and my converter box is DTX9950. No one uses outdoor antennas at my housing complex, and I don't know if they are allowed. That doesn't sound very fair to be unable to use an indoor antenna/rabbit ears. I've never seen anything stating that outdoor antennas are the only ones that can be used. No one has ever mentioned that possible restriction, not even the stores that sell indoor antennas. It doesn't make sense.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lydiasggma View Post
    I have an indoor antenna, and my converter box is DTX9950. No one uses outdoor antennas at my housing complex, and I don't know if they are allowed. That doesn't sound very fair to be unable to use an indoor antenna/rabbit ears. I've never seen anything stating that outdoor antennas are the only ones that can be used. No one has ever mentioned that possible restriction, not even the stores that sell indoor antennas. It doesn't make sense.
    If you have cable, you don't need a converter box.

If you have any kind of antenna (indoor or outdoor) for your TV, you need a converter box.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 09:29 PM

I have hooked up several, for many the new signals are limited in distance you can receive from, many have limited range of @ 20 miles or so.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 09:30 PM

Rabbit Ears may be OK. If your TV is relatively modern and comes with a COAX connector and not two terminals and two wires attached to screws.

Can I assume that the rabbit ear connection(s) are the same as the connections on the TV?

How many round wires on your rabbit ears?
    How many flat wires are on your rabbit ears?

Can you take a picture of the back of the TV and rabbit ears and post using "Go Advanced"?

The picture you get with your rabbit ears has to be perfectly clear otherwise you will NOT be able to receive Digital TV.

Can you send me a street address with zip code via PM so I can assess the situation a bit better?

I think we have the same box, so that helps.

Seeing the MENU is just one of the problems. For that the antenna does not have to be connected. This means that:

1a. The TV/OUT needs to be connected to the TV
    1b. Leave the ANT/IN terminals disconnected for now.
    2. The TV tuned to the same channel as set with the small slide swich on the box.
    3. The power button (Red button on the right top) of the remote should be pressed with the remote aimed at the box. The light on the box will turn green. Something that is NOT in the instructions is that you will not be able to turn the converter box off UNTIL the box has done a channel scan. The only way to turn it off is to unplug the plug and plug it back in again. The Light on the box will be a DIM RED.
    4. I can't remember if you have to hit MENU on the REMOTE or if it comes up in MENU.

Can you get this far?

Jan 10, 2009, 05:51 PM

I think that I am too far out of range to use the rabbit-ears. I'm on the very north end of my city, closer to the next town up than downtown in my own town. I've tried just hooking the antenna to the TV, and can get one channel, but it's snowy and black and white. Nothing I try has worked. The antenna has just the cable which fits on the TV. Both the TV set and the antenna are brand new. No matter what I plug in or connect or disconnect, I get "no signal" or "channel not available".
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 06:32 PM

Give me your address via PM and I'll tell you what I think. You may have other options. e.g http://www.geekbro.com/index.cfm/hur...rce=GoogleBase

But I can't tell you without your address.

If the TV is new, then you should be able to receive HDTV directly.

Do you have the model or URL of the manual for the TV?

Rabbit ears manual?

Jan 10, 2009, 07:13 PM
    Model # for the TV is 19MF338B/F7. This is a Magnavox. The antenna is a Phillips SDV2210/27. I just noticed on the box, it ways "Works best within 20 miles". Unfortunately, I'm more like 30+ miles from the TV station. It's in the next city south, on the far side of that town. I should have looked at the box closer before I bought it. I think I will take it back, and get one with a longer range, and maybe that'll work. I will wait on advice until I try that. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 07:20 PM

Give me your address via PM. I can tell what will work from that information.

Click on my Handle and "Send a Private message" with your address. I am an Expert here with 5000+ posts.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 07:35 PM

Your manual for your TV is here:

http://www.m4c.magnavox.com/files/1/...f7_dfu_aen.pdf

On page 24, it tries to make the process painless.

7.2 Autoprogramming
    This section describes how to search for and store
    Channels automatically. Before you tune channels,
    Ensure that you are registered with your cable
    TV provider and that your equipment is correctly
    Connected.
    1. Press MENU on the remote control and select
    Installation > Autoprogram > Start
    Now.
    Select Cable or Antenna and press .
    • When Antenna is selected, the TV detects
    Antenna signals. It searches for NTSC and
    ATSC channels available in your area.
    • When Cable is selected, the TV detects
    Signals supplied by cable. It searches for
    NTSC, ATSC, and QAM modulated channels
    Available in your area.
    3. Press OK to start the installation.
    If you run Autoprogram when you have locked
    Channels, a message appears asking to enter your
    PIN code. Enter your PIN code in order to
    Complete the installation.
    If you have forgotten your PIN, reset it as
    Described in Set or change your PIN on page 18.
    When autoprogramming is complete,
    This message appears “Channel search
    Completed”.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete
    The installation.

You don't need a converter box. You will have to auto-program after the switch too.

Jan 10, 2009, 07:51 PM

I think I'd like to work this out myself. I do not wish to give out my address. I think if I get an antenna with a longer range, that should work. I may be back if that doesn't work. If not, I will probably get cable. Thanks anyway.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 07:58 PM

OK. Try looking a TV Fool - Home This has the information you need if you know how to use it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DTV converter box [ 5 Answers ]

I have a TV on my back porch that works with rabbit ears. I have sat inside house. I received coupons for converter box but store tells me I will need an outside antena. Says will not work with rabbit ears. True or false?

Connecting converter box to analog TV [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to connect anything to my TV, but nothing is connecting with it. I have an analog TV, a vcr/dvd unit, a vcr unit, and a converter box. I am on an outside antenna and tried to connect the converter box. It will not show up on channel 3. Then I tried connecting the vcr/dvd unit, but...

Connecting DVD/VCR to TV through HD converter [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to connect a Zenith DVD/VCR to the TV through a Motorola HD converter. I've got regular programming on the TV. The Zenith unit appears to be responding but it doesn't send a picture to the TV. I've tried channels 3 and 4 but can't get a set-up screen on the TV. My old VCR had 2 hook-ups...

TV converter box [ 7 Answers ]

I recently hooked up a new converter box to my TV that has an outside antenna. Trying to get ready for next years digital/analog conversion. The picture is great and all was hoooked up correct. However, I get a lot of choppy pictures, where picture seems to break up a lot. Is this in the new...

Converter [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any other websites to convert videos for psp?

View more questions Search