Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arthurbach4 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 07:02 PM
    How to access portforwarding for my Xbox360.
    So, ultimately I am trying to set up portforwarding for my Xbox 360, as I have adsl2+ internet connection (getting speeds around 17mbps on the pc) but am getting very slow download speeds on the Xbox360.

I have a Netcomm NB6Plus4 Adsl2+ Modem Router, which is then connected (via ethernet cord) to a Netgear WGR614 v7 Wireless router - I am also running XP Home (Service Pack 3).

I actually have various questions and roadblocks so please feel free to weigh in on any or all of them.

I am using a wireless network adaptor on the 360 and it is currently speaking to the wireless router successfully (albeit at a very slow rate).

I have been told that it is necessary to have an OPEN NAT and that to check to see the status of the NAT you do the following:

System Settings>Network Settings>Configure Network>Test XboxLive Connection - to see whether the NAT is open or moderate etc.

At this point I should mention that I clicked on Configure Network first, just so I (and therfore you) have all available information:

IP Settings: Automatic
    IP Address: 10.0.0.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.0.0.1

DNS Settings: Automatic
    Primary DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

The DNS settings make sense as I have previously made the DNS garnered from OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet as my wireless router settings.

Anyway, when I tested the XboxLive connection it came up with a message suggesting that the NAT is MODERATE.

Presumably, this is the (possible) cause of my slow download speeds. I should mention, also, that I know the difference between slow as in heavy user traffic and slow as in SLOOOOWWWW.

I am actually getting far slower speeds now than when I had standard adsl. In order to get adsl2+ I had to upgrade my modem which is inevitably one of the causes of my problems.

I did try and hook the Xbox up to the Netcomm modem using an ethernet cord but was getting the same slow speeds. I then tried setting up portforwarding between the Netcomm and the Xbox (with the wired connection) and while I think I did it correctly there was no change to the speed at all.

Just to let you know, I have successfully set up portwarding before, using the steps from PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall - this was to enable Bitcomet to work - this was a total success (on my current modem as well as the old one).

Here are a couple of weird occurrences which I am sure have some significance to my issue:

1.When I access the menu for the Netgear (wireless) router and have a look at the basic settings it looks like this:

Internet IP Address

*Get dynamically from ISP

(The settings underneath read):

IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server: 208.67.220.220

2.However, when I click:

Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig/all - I get the following information:

IP Address: 10.0.0.2
    IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP Address: 10.0.01
    DNS Servers: 208.67.222.222

Straight away the IP address differences freak me out and sail straight past my level of expertise! (Also is it significant that the Xbox360 (as mentioned above) has it's IP Address as 10.0.0.3 and the ipconfig/all suggests it should be 10.0.0.2)?

Yes, I am a noob - let's try and move past that.

Another point to make is that when I click through:

Start>Control Panel>Network Settings>Properties for "Wireless Network Connection" (the one that is currently providing internet connection)>Properties for "Internet Protocol - TCP/IP"

I discover that it is set to: "Obtain IP Address Automatically" (The DNS servers are set to the "OpenDns" settings).

Again, I am sure that this is significant to my Xbox speed issues - just not sure how.

As a final note, I tried calling my ISP just to make sure it wasn't an issue from their end - they told me it wasn't and I believe them (they genuinely have an awesome support team at Locall Australis).

So there you are.

Ideally, I would love for someone to say, "Ok, here is what you do and you do it in this exact order", but I will take what I can get :)

Thanks for your time.

Pete.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 10:01 PM

First off you have way too much text for a question. People are going to look at this and not want to sit and read it and try and help, the shorter your question is the more intising to readers thus more responses.

OKay from what I gather your problem is your NAT is moderate and you need it to be open...

Your option to do port forwarding is inside your router (you need to open the port 3074) as TCP/IP and UDP. There is a lot more to it but I am unsure of your router setup I have a Linksys Wrt150-N and I'm sure they're different. But for the most part they all should operate similarly.

Let me know if this is any help!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 10:11 PM

I think you have DHCP enabled in your modem and your router.
    NAT might also be enabled in you router and modem. Check and report back.

Both are not good.

Probably the modem should be set to bridge mode and NAT and DHCP should be only done by the router.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My parents took away my ps2,xbox360,psp,gameboys,and wii what do I do to get it back [ 7 Answers ]

I really don't know what to do my parents took away all of my game consoles:( :( they said if I get good grades and I'm good they'll give them back at the end of the year f I got good grades, now that it's the end of the year and I brought up my grades really high they still won't give it back and...

Xbox360 Open tray ! [ 2 Answers ]

I think it has to do with the laser not working. Has anyone fixed this problem?

MS Access [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, first of all I know very little about ms access so bare with me. Second of all, right now I am only interested in a general answer then I will ask more as I go if needed. I am interested in using access to make an inventory list and an order page so that when you input things a quantity it...

Can't access pop3, Pop3 access not working from my computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have XP SP 2 - Its been about a week since any of my pop3 accounts have worked (Gawab, Gmail, Spymac, Toughguy). The error messages I am receiving on all of my pop3 accounts are similar to : The host 'pop.gawab.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name...

View more questions Search