Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    My question is what makes one religion anymore "true" than another? What would be the reason for different denominations within the Christian religion if there was only one way to believe? If there is room for some alternatives there, why not elsewhere?

What is "the way" for one religion will not be the same for another....but perhaps that is not necessarily a problem if the way one leads their life and how they interact with others and the world around them bring them to the same place with the same purpose.
    The idea of two equal faiths having mutually opposed tenets is irrational. There can be only one absolute truth, without which we would have a schizophrenic God.

The argument that takes the form; “one religion is as good as another;” is a notion that is terribly illogical. Given any two denominations if either one holds one or more mutually contradictory fundamental truths (without the conflict they wouldn't be different denominations), since both can't be true, one or both must be wrong. Since religion shouldn't teach error in faith, then these two religions can only be equal when in error. The religion without an error is said to represent God's reveled truth and as such is the one, true, universal faith.

JoeT
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 11:02 PM
    JoeT,
    I believe that is True.
    I agree.
    Fred
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 12:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    Your response presumes that I’m intolerant of other religions.
    I was trying to be funny, Joe.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 12:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I was trying to be funny, Joe.
    Oops
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 12:13 AM
    The religion without an error is said to represent God’s reveled truth and as such is the one, true, universal faith.
    And that one true religion just happens to be yours.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 12:20 AM
    And that one true religion just happens to be yours.
    Certainly.

JoeT
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jan 11, 2009, 04:54 AM
    The idea of two equal faiths having mutually opposed tenets is irrational. There can be only one absolute truth, without which we would have a schizophrenic God.

The argument that takes the form; “one religion is as good as another;” is a notion that is terribly illogical. Given any two denominations if either one holds one or more mutually contradictory fundamental truths (without the conflict they wouldn’t be different denominations), since both can’t be true, one or both must be wrong. Since religion shouldn't teach error in faith, then these two religions can only be equal when in error. The religion without an error is said to represent God’s reveled truth and as such is the one, true, universal faith.

JoeT
    Reminds me of what is happening in my kids' sports today;

There is a trophy not only for first place but for second third etc... ;)

I am dismayed that non-Christians view Christianity, or more likely Christians as intolerant, and I am as much to blame. I'm not preaching denomination, just that those who don't believe start with the gospels and ask God all your questions.

God keeps track of the "points" if you don't believe, and you can never score enough to win in His eyes.

However; God gives you a trophy [ heaven if you will ] just for participating, if you believe. :)

G&P
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    DoulaLC,
    You may be right that conversion of large numbers of people does not take place today, by maybe not....
    But I personally know of several conversions to Christianity.
    One of them was a Muslim at a college here in Montana to Christianity. There have been several of those.
    Another is the conversion of many Jews to Christianity and some of them have become ministers or Priests.
    I myself was able to aid the Holy Spirit in the conversion of a druid to Christianity.
    He received a grand slam in graces.
    That is he was baptized, had his first confession, confirmed, and received the Eucharist in ceremonies all the same day.
    The national news often tells us of several Muslims whose lives have been lost or threatened.
    So you see that there are many conversions that take place every year yet today.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Yes, I agree, people do convert to various religions... I had mentioned this sometimes happens through family, friends, spouses, etc.. I have known of people who have converted to Chrisitanity as well, and also those who converted to Islam, Judisim, Buddhism, and a few who are now agnostics or atheists.

It's a small percentage of people who actually go out and truly study numerous religions before deciding what they believe or don't believe. Certainly some will have religious studies in school, but I'm talking of more than that limited exposure.

The point is that the majority will follow what they were raised in and hold fast to that. If you had been born into a family and raised in Japan, Iran, or India odds are you would be believing something different from what you do today. This is why you see specific religions as being prominent in different countries. It's likely you were born into a Christian household, or at least at some point in your life you were influenced by another Christian, thus this is what you know to be true.

Unless someone becomes convinced that what they have learned to be true in the past is incorrect, or they don't have truly strong beliefs one way or another to begin with, or as sometimes has been seen they are persecuted until they "believe", they are unlikely to be converted.

I would assume that you are so certain of your belief in Christianity that no one would be able to sway you to believe otherwise... so holds true for many people of other faiths.

Many religions teach that their way is the only way to God, but others see a bigger picture. One where different religions, faiths, and beliefs are presented to humanity in the way they can understand and accept for where they happen to be in the world.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 09:10 AM

The argument that takes the form; “one religion is as good as another;” is a notion that is terribly illogical. Given any two denominations if either one holds one or more mutually contradictory fundamental truths (without the conflict they wouldn't be different denominations), since both can't be true, one or both must be wrong. Since religion shouldn't teach error in faith, then these two religions can only be equal when in error. The religion without an error is said to represent God's reveled truth and as such is the one, true, universal faith.

JoeT
    They are opposed tenets when you believe only one to be true. For a Christian, believing Jesus is the Son of God does not oppose someone else's teaching that Jesus was a great teacher for example. As a Christian, that is your truth, as it should be according to the teachings of the Christian religion. It does not, however, negate the truth of someone else; it does not make someone any less Christian to accept that others will hold different beliefs.

While there certainly are some differences in the tenets of various religions, there are also many similarities... especially in regard to mankind. I would think God would be able to discern what is in someone's heart and mind.

Many denomonations do hold different truths. For example, many do not believe Catholics to be Christians, partly because of their worship of Mary. When someone should be baptised brings about questions. How much is free will and how much is preordained comes into question. The positions women are allowed to serve will vary among denominations. Some denominations teach sacraments, others do not. Homosexuality is viewed differently among different denominations. So which are the correct truths? Who decides?

Someone's views on what may constitute an error in faith will obviously be determined by what their particular religion teaches.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jan 11, 2009, 09:39 AM

Doula,
    Where have you been all my life? Your posts are exactly what I have been trying to say to my fundamentalist friends and family. It tends to get emotional because they are so deeply rooted in believing their beliefs are the only TRUE beliefs. I've tried to convey all the things you have mentioned, but it never comes out as cool, calm, and collective as you have done here. The next time this comes up, I may use some of your words.
    Imagine the peace and acceptance that could run rampant if we all had the same attitude toward differences that you do.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Doula,
    Please get this straight.
    Catholics do NOT worship Mary.
    They worship God only.
    They hold her in high esteem because God chose her to be the mother of His son and her son, Jesus, also did.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Doula,
    Please get this straight.
    Catholics do NOT worship Mary.
    They worship God only.
    They hold her in high esteem because God chose her to be the mother of His son and her son, Jesus, also did.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    I was merely repeating what I have heard and that is that some Christians do not believe Catholics to be Christians for various reasons, one being that they pray to Mary through the Hail Mary. To some, this is considered as worshiping Mary.

The point of mentioning this was to show that even within the Christian religion you will find differences of opinion as to what is truth and what isn't. You find the same disagreement in regard to Mormonism.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 02:35 PM
    I was merely repeating what I have heard and that is that some Christians do not believe Catholics to be Christians for various reasons, one being that they pray to Mary through the Hail Mary. To some, this is considered as worshiping Mary.

The point of mentioning this was to show that even within the Christian religion you will find differences of opinion as to what is truth and what isn't. You find the same disagreement in regard to Mormonism.
    To non-Catholics, praying to Mary is the same as worshipping her, i.e. treating her as a god who can deliver from evil and rain down blessings.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 03:05 PM

Yes, to clearify, those that teach that Catholics worship Mary have never studied and do not know what the church teaches, or far worst they know but wish to spread lies. There is a large anti catholic movement for some reason as there are anti mormon movements, There are some hate groups that pretend to be christian that even print tracts against various christians that don't teach along some guide lines. These type of hate groups do nothing but to confuse those that have never had the chance or taken the time to study the acutal facts.

Asking Mary to pray or act on your behalf, or Peter or James or any of the Saints is to a Catholic no different than asking your church group to pray for you, to a Catholic, since to a Catholic, all of the Church both here and in heaven are all part of the Church,

Mary has no spcial powers but does have the ability as we all do, to petition christ to listen to a request.

And for some issues, things are fairly simple, some practices, are a matter of wording, and the importance a group holds it.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 03:42 PM
    To non-Catholics, praying to Mary is the same as worshipping her, i.e., treating her as a god who can deliver from evil and rain down blessings.
    How very odd. Are they unaware of the ancient distinction between veneration and worship? Do they have a problem with intercessory prayer in general? Do they never ask those who are especially pious or devout to pray for them? (The criticism has never made much sense to me.)

Not all non-Catholics have a problem with this. Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, and many Anglicans pray to Mary. It's really just Protestants, or rather, some Protestants who have a problem with this very, very ancient practice.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    How very odd. Are they unaware of the ancient distinction between veneration and worship? Do they have a problem with intercessory prayer in general? Do they never ask those who are especially pious or devout to pray for them? (The criticism has never made much sense to me.)

Not all non-Catholics have a problem with this. Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, and many Anglicans pray to Mary. It's really just Protestants, or rather, some Protestants who have a problem with this very, very ancient practice.
    "Just some Protestants" pray to Mary (via the rosary) to intercede for them. I see. What about the other non-Catholics, i.e. Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, etc.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 04:28 PM

They are opposed tenets when you believe only one to be true. For a Christian, believing Jesus is the Son of God does not oppose someone else's teaching that Jesus was a great teacher for example. As a Christian, that is your truth, as it should be according to the teachings of the Christian religion. It does not, however, negate the truth of someone else; it does not make someone any less Christian to accept that others will hold different beliefs. While there certainly are some differences in the tenets of various religions, there are also many similarities....especially in regard to mankind. I would think God would be able to discern what is in someone's heart and mind.
    Then all truth is relative? Next time you get a speeding ticket tell the cop that you can drive safely at 70-mph even if the posted speed limit is 50-mph. After all, speed is relative. A simpler example; how much is 2+2. What would keep us from using Doula-Math and decide that all algorithms equal whatever feels good at the time. Let's say today is a '5' day; thus 2+2=5 according to Doula-Math? Can I conclude from this that if you ask for change of a 5 dollar bill, I can give you two pars of two one dollar bills? Come to think of it I like this. Let's do some more “relative” math with real money!

There is but one Truth. That truth is absolute. To say that truth is relative to the observer creates absolute pandemonium, both in a theological sense and in nature. To say that God reveals one truth to you and another truth to me is relativism. How many truths do you think there are? There is only one truth, whether we are capable of understanding that truth is not material. We know that since God exists is creation demonstrates that truth exists, its immutable, its eternal, it is spiritual, unconstrained by time, and superior to man's law. From which we can conclude that “not only that truth is in [God], but that [God] is truth itself, and the sovereign and first truth. “ St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Prima Q, 15 a5” (see also https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/religi...ml#post1376851 )

Many denomonations do hold different truths. For example, many do not believe Catholics to be Christians, partly because of their worship of Mary. When someone should be baptized brings about questions. How much is free will and how much is preordained comes into question. The positions women are allowed to serve will vary among denominations. Some denominations teach sacraments, others do not. Homosexuality is viewed differently among different denominations. So which are the correct truths? Who decides?
    Yes, many faiths hold different truths, and all but one of them is wrong. Whether certain Christians hold that Catholicism is not Christian isn't relevant. I don't recall reading anywhere in the Scriptures where we are told to take a poll and decide what's right and what's wrong. Again, whether you recognize it or not, there is only one truth in faith. You can read my comments as arrogance or haughtiness (and I'm sure it does seem that way – relatively speaking), it still doesn't alter the truth – truth still remains immutable and absolute. The decision has been made for us by Christ. Christ is the founder on which Peter and the remaining Apostles are the foundation on which the Church is built.

Fr_Chuck and Fred responded to the Mary comment, so I won't respond here.

Someone's views on what may constitute an error in faith will obviously be determined by what their particular religion teaches.
    Again this is a true statement. Even still, it doesn't change “Truth”. It remains as it was, as it is, and as it will be; one and the same immutable and absolute truth.

JoeT
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 04:54 PM
    My point is (and I do have one) is that it is almost universally accepted (***perhaps "believed" is a better word***) that Catholics, who revere and pray to Mary, are considered worshippers of her and equate her with God. I live in a very culturally diverse area. I'll take a poll (random sample) and get back to you.
    It was once almost universally accepted that the sun orbits the earth. So what? People are often ill-informed and opinionated *at the same time*.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jan 11, 2009, 05:20 PM

JoeT, WHAT kind of proof do you have that there is only one truth and it just happens to be yours? What the bible says doesn't count so PLEASE don't start with endless verses of scripture. Unless you also have proof that the bible is the only book of truth. But then you've got all those rewrites and everything, so how reliable could that be even if it was the truth in the beginning?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    It was once almost universally accepted that the sun orbits the earth. So what? People are often ill-informed and opinionated *at the same time*.
    Precisely! So then why all the opinionated and ill-informed people regarding Mary's position? Millions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ban on God's name! [ 27 Answers ]

Is it really true that the Catholic churches are now being instructed to ommit the divine name from all forms of service? If so, why? Does this also mean that any glass mossaics etc featuring YAHWEH will be replaced? Call me curious...

Conditional discharge [ 6 Answers ]

My friend got conditional discharge ,Will it remain on his record? He is a security guard will he be able to renew his license? Please reply soon.

Conditional love? Should I stay or go? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half and we have had our ups and downs. I've been unhappy recently because I've noticed he doesn't make as much effort as he used to. He doesn't call anymore or email or anything else other than texting. All he does is text me a few times a day which...

God's stance [ 7 Answers ]

What does God say about love and relationships. Why does he allow people to get hurt and heartbroken,even if they pray about a particular relationship and/or love? Does God care about people being heartbroken at all? I'm really looking for some relief becaue I am really hurting behind this...

Conditional discharged [ 7 Answers ]

I have been conditionally discharged of a charge in canada will it stop me from entering the states via plane? I have met all conditions

View more questions Search