Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drinadainae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 05:50 PM
    My acting is at a stand still
    I want to get my acting career started.. but I'm kind of having a block of what to do next. I tried looking for casting calls for extras.. but I think I need an agent first.. just don't have that kind of money right now.. is there anything I can do.. to help myself succeed and get farther in the industry without needed so much money.. or is such a thing possible?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by drinadainae View Post
    i want to get my acting career started..but im kinda having a block of what to do next. i tried looking for casting calls for extras.. but i think i need an agent first.. just dont have that kind of money right now.. is there anything i can do.. to help myself succeed and get farther in the industry without needed so much money..? or is such a thing possible?

You don't pay an agent in advance - at least not any agent I ever knew. Of course, you do need a book and head shots - and that's not inexpensive!

You make yourself visible - local theatre, your college productions, local ad agencies which are casting. You are eventually seen by a bigger agent and, hopefully, signed.

Visibility is the answer - the extra route sometimes works out but you need to be in front of the extras.

What is your interest? Live theatre, movies - ?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 06:31 PM

I would agree with JKT.

Exposure is everything. I've found (from personal experience), its as much about who you know as how talented you are.

Do as many community theatre gigs as you can. You get your name out there and you'll find that the connections are unbelieveable.

Best of luck!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 07:27 PM

Hi again, Drina!

Around where I live, we have a dinner theater and at least two other theaters where the actors and actresses are paid. Many if not most of them don't have agents. But, at least being able to act in those kind of places is giving them a start while getting paid to do it.

Perhaps you might have some professional theaters like that around where you live where it would be fairly easy to get started?

Thanks!
    WriteitActit814 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Here's what I did;

I immersed myself in my community theatre, and sought any opportunity to jump into a production. You'd be amazed how much you pick up from simply watching other people act, and you learn a lot from just people-watching in general.

Above all, you have to LOVE your art. Mimicry is the base of acting, and your passion for the craft must burn through any boundaries you overcome. You have to have fun, because that's what motivates great actors.

That's all I can think of. Sorry if I wasted your time. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I stand? [ 4 Answers ]

I am liz. I am barely eighteen, and I live in salem Oregon. I have a friend AJ whom I have developed a huge crush on over the last month and a half. The only problem with this is that, I feel as if he might be using me. See none of my friends like him because they know that he always asks me to...

Where Do I Stand If I Decide To Stand Up To Them? [ 26 Answers ]

I am posting this on behalf of my sister. She Wrote - Where do I stand if I decide to stand up to them and say enough is enough? This is the short version, I will go into more detail as we go along. I hope you can help me. I am in need of some serious advice. Got 2 grandchildren...

What does this stand for? [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering this was on my boyfriends record or whatever they call it 1 count/merged count of : 2C:17-3*4 Criminal Mischief /4 What's the numbers for?

X-Men The Last Stand [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the song that is playing on the commercial while the newest X-Men Game is being advertised. Thanks, Josh

Do I have a leg to stand on? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex sis-in law offered to sell me her mobile home because they were going to consolidate bills into a new home loan and purchase another home. But the "contractor" she was dealing with ended up being a scam artist, and they didn't get it, he was arrested, etc. Now, before this was discovered, we...

View more questions Search