Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    10241994michael Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Owe on credit cards they took my car
    I owe money to different credit card companies, one of them has obtained a levy and taken my car. Which is paid for with no leins. If I file bankructcy can I get my car back?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 10:32 PM

No, it is too late now, you should have filed before they got the lien on the car, the lien made it a secure debt and you would have to either pay it in bankruptcy court to keep the car. But after it is gone it too late.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 02:03 PM

Once again, the person asking the question does not disclose the state or province in which her resides so we readers cannot comment as we do not know the jurisdiction.

Most jurisdictions have statutory exemption legislation which prevents unsecured creditors from seizing these exempt assets. For example, in Ontario Canada, a debtor's consumer goods are exempt from seizure if they are paid for or were paid for when they were pledged as security. ($5000.00 in personal effects, $10000.00 in furniture, $10000.00 in tools of a trade and $5650.00 in a vehicle) If there is exemption legislation in your jurisdiction, if the creditor seizes and sells the goods, they pay you the amount of the exemption and bear the cost of sale before they are entitled to anything.

You should look. I would not put it past any creditor who takes security in paid consumer goods to withhold the exemption.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 15, 2009, 02:07 PM

What state are you in?
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 03:31 PM

Ontario Canada

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit cards [ 1 Answers ]

What credit card companies only deal with equifax

Credit cards [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations for collecting dept for store credit card?:eek:

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

Credit cards [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me if there is a credit card that does not charge for transferring balances from another card

View more questions Search