Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

Jan 9, 2009, 02:54 PM
    How do you know what to pursue?
    I'm the drummer in a band that's had some success in Michigan, and I have high hopes for this one that I recently joined. I feel somewhat drawn to film however, and sometimes feel I should be pursuing that instead of music.

I wanted some people's takes: is it plausible for a successful musician to migrate into acting?

I wonder between 1. pursuing acting, and giving it my all. Or 2. Move forward with a music career, and hope that one day I could use contacts to migrate into acting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jan 31, 2009, 11:12 PM

Of course you can migrate into acting. Where does your passion lie? Drums/Music? Acting? Basically, the arts! I say follow your heart young man. Give it your all and don't give up. What have you decided since you posted this? If you are still there? A lot of people in the arts move around so to speak. You have models and dancers that have become actors. You have singers that have become actors and found later some actors that could sing very well. Keep playing those drums I say and go after whatever else you feel in your heart. I have a brother who has been playing the drums since he was 9. He is now 52 and is very successful. Besides the fact that he is an amazing drummer, he stuck with it and that is one of the reasons he is successful. He struggled a lot at times as most artists do but he stayed with it. He's been on the tele also but I know you are talking about "acting". Best of luck to you!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 11:49 PM

Hi, Green Elephant!

Excellent and informative answer by trmpldonagn, above!

Yes, a person can be in multiple disciplines in the arts and make a living doing it! I'm an example of someone who does that. It's sometimes necessary to be in multiple disciplines, especially in the performing or visual arts, in order to make a living.

What level of schooling have you had, please?

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2009, 12:30 AM

Why thank you Clough. I don't remember you being in the Arts. I will look at your profile. As far as Green Elephant, I hope you are still out there/here and will reply. I want to know that you are following your dream(s).
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

Feb 2, 2009, 11:53 PM
    Thank you so much for taking interest and replying. Since I've posted that last message, the band has been going strong, and were recording soon. Acting has taken a back seat for now, since music has been a strong passion for years now, and I'm taking graphic design classes this summer at an art school. I can't create enough it would seem, and I'm proud of the fact that I'm drawn to create, and that it's not a forced thing.

Thanks again!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by trmpldonagn View Post
    Why thank you Clough. I don't remember you being in the Arts. I will look at your profile. As far as Green Elephant, I hope you are still out there/here and will reply back. I want to know that you are following your dream(s).
    Hi, trmpldonagn!

Yes, I'm heavily involved in the Arts in many ways. There would be quite a bit of information in my profile about me, although I don't think any body's information that they put in their profile is visible right now because of some glitches that happened when the site was upgraded some months ago.

Green Elephant, I'm glad that you're pursuing your dreams!

Thanks!

Feb 3, 2009, 12:36 AM

Thanks Clough. I understand now. Was wondering why I couldn't see anything for several people's profile. Thanks very much and I'll keep checking. Glitches can sure take a while to correct after a conversion.
    GreenElephant, good for you! And yes, it's great that it comes naturally. Usually, not always, people are drawn as you say, to the arts and it is not forced. Keep playing those drums and enjoy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the right course for me to pursue? [ 1 Answers ]

Helo. At the outset I would like to thank this website for presenting me with the opportunity to ask the experts questions which I don't frankly know whom to ask. I am a Lawyer with around 3 years experience in working in leading Law firms. I am interested in pursuing further studies but am not...

Is it okay to consistently pursue a guy? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi~ I am a 28 year old female who met a 25 year old guy recently. We hit it off right away, he asked me out and we had a fabulous first date. I ended up asking him out after a week or so on a 2nd date (since he wasn't) he said yes, and it could not have gone better. I have initiated most of...

Should I pursue this guy? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I gave a SHY male co-worker my email and phone number on Halloween 2006 because I wouldn't see him again until March 2007. Well,This guy never called me because of his shyness(I have a spy co-worker who told me what happen). March 2007 is here and I'm going to see him again in 2 weeks.Should...

View more questions Search