Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris858 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Dry food
    Hi I have a 2 month old French Bulldog and When we got him at the pet store the told us to mix his dry food with some wet food and I Have been doing this but it seems to give him massive diarrhea and it seems to be upsetting his stomach so I called my sister which just had a puppy and she gave her puppy nothing but dry food and her dog had no problems so I'm wondering should I stop giving my puppy wet food, decrease the amount or continue with it.

Thank you
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 24, 2006, 10:03 PM
    There are many causes for a puppy having diarrhea. First of all how old is the puppy? If you got him from I pet store a would definitely get him checked out by a vet. Coccidia (an internal parasite) will cause diarrhea in puppies and kittens. It is also hard to treat depending on the circumstances. You need to rule out any type of intestinal parasites first. Back to the age of the puppy, if he is still weaning then yeah his food needs to be mixed so that he may properly chew and digest the food until he is able to handle the larger chunks. Since he is a new puppy in a new environment that could cause lots of stress on the little one even though he may seem happy and playful, which would also cause diarrhea. Different types of puppy food could also give a puppy diarrhea if it is a poor quality food w/ the first ingredient being corn or corn starch that could upset his stomach. Also, switching foods from what the pet store was feeding to what your feeding will also upset his fragile still growing stomach. He should be fed a diet high in protein and fats. With my puppies I added raw eggs and yogurt to their diet occasionally or if I saw that they were having diarrhea. Yogurt especially helps a young puppy's upset stomach. Make sure that he is not vomiting or having excessive diarrhea, that is not a good sign and should be taken into the vet immediately. Excessive diarrhea will cause dehydration and signs of lethargy, vomitus, and diarrhea can all be signs to a sick puppy aka parvo. ESPECIALLY since most pet stores are nothing more thank heartless puppy mills who do not properly take care of their pets. The best advice I can give you is take your new pet in to see your Vet. There he can give the initial innoculations, test for parasites, answer any questions you might have, and start you on your way to a healthy puppy. Good luck on the new addition!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is off her food [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been off her food for two days

Wet dog food and dry dog food [ 5 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should be giving a balance of wet dog food and dry dog food each week and not just dry dog food all the time. He told me that too much dry food can cause constipation. Is this true? Also, which brands are considered low grade dog food?

Which Is More Dangerous Concerning Cat And Dog Food [ 10 Answers ]

Is It More Dangerous For A Cat To Eat Some Dog Food, Or A Dog To Eat Some Cat Food? Are There Specific Dangerous Ingredients? Thanks.

View more questions Search