Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Jan 9, 2009, 07:43 AM
    3yr old grey front teeth after bumping face
    Hi there, my 3yr old son had a fall a couple of weeks ago. 10 days later I noticed his 2 front teeth had starter to discolour, now several days on his 2 front teeth are very grey, one almost looks a purple grey colour and the other is slightly loose. We visited our dentist yesterday to have them checked out and were told the grey coulour is due to bleeding blood vessels and the teeth will never return white again. I was also told the loose tooth should tighten up again but to keep checking his gums for anything strange looking, lumps, pimples etc as this would indicate an infection. If infection sets in it could deform his next set of teeth. I am now seriously concerned about this. What I want to know is: Is there any chance his teeth could return beautifully white again and how common is it for infection to begin and if infection was to start would this be likely to happen soon after my sons fall or can infection begin any time after teeth have turned grey to the point when he would get 2nd set?:confused: Hope someone can help please.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 07:57 AM

The dentist was right. The discoloration of the tooth is like a bruise or when you jam your finger in a door, it's technically internal bleeding. However, unlike skin, where the blood is constantly flowing, or your fingernails, as they grow, the tooth just sits there.

I do, however, think that the tooth will slightly change in time. I wouldn't expect dramatic results, but the discoloration should fade a little.

If the tooth is a little loose, infection isn't too common. Make sure he brushes his teeth well, and perhaps rinse his mouth with mouthwash or warm salt water to disinfect the area. (mouthwash may hurt or irritate, stick with salt water).

The infection can set in any time the gums are open, but as I said, as long as he keeps his dental hygiene up, he should be OK.
    bippybird Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2009, 07:58 AM
    My little brother had the same thing happen when he was three. The teeth eventually fell out and he now is 16 with perfect teeth.my son is 8. he lost his first 4 teeth when he was 4. we thought it was early, but he now has a set of perfect teeth. Its likely your sons teeth will come out. But he'll get knew ones. Don't worry
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 08:05 AM

DOH!

I completely overlooked the fact that the child is 3.

... the new set of teeth will be fine. Don't worry about the discoloration.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 01:47 PM

What your dentist has told you is correct. You want to watch for the pimple on his gum or if he starts to favour those teeth (avoiding biting into carrots and apples or hot or cold). The teeth could remain as they are until they are due to fall out usually around age 6. His adult teeth won't be grey so you don't have to worry about that.
    Keep them clean and don't fret.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 01:50 PM

I agree with everyone here. I know a little boy and the same thing happened to him. He doesn't have his baby teeth anymore and his teeth are white. =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A bumping noise that sounds like it is coming from the gas tank. [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2000 GMC half ton coupe Seria. For several months now I have had a bumping noise that seems to originate from the gas tank area. I have taken it to two shops and each time they have said they did not hear any thing. Well that is very possible because sometimes it will go for a week without a...

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Regular contact, but no face to face [ 2 Answers ]

We dated a while, then he wanted to take a break from seeing each other, but maintained some contact (txt. Message, some calls), about four weeks ago, we began to date some again, and saw each other 3 times in 2 weeks, he makes some form of contact every day, but we haven't seen each other again...

Phlegmon under front teeth? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear forum, My doctor/dentist tentatively diagnosed me with phlegmon, after I went into the hospital with a fever of 105. My tongue and gums were swelling and there were two huge skin flaps that'd formed under my tongue. After ex-raying and CT scanning my head, they found a big shadow under...

Missing my two front teeth [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am 21 years old, in December of 2005 I had surgery on my mouth, I had six teeth removed, I was told I had to wait until it healed to get partials, well while waiting for it to heal they cancelled my insurance(medicaid) so I went 10 months without my two front teeth. I finally got my...

View more questions Search