Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arostek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Car will not go into gear drive reverse neutral from the park position
    I have a mercury grand marquis and today I put it into park when I was ready to go it would not go into gear from park position any advise
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 03:10 PM

For safety purposes, you need to press the brake pedal for at least 5 seconds. If the problem persists, focus on the Automatic Transmission Gear Position Switch.

Even though this link is written for Hondas, it will give you basic insight into automatic transmission interlock systems:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post258005
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 03:27 PM

Are you saying that you could not move the shift lever or if after moving the lever it would not engage the selected gear?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 04:06 PM

Check if your brake lights are working. If you have a bad brake light switch, it won't release the shift lever to let you shift out of Park.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 08:45 PM

If you can move the shift lever, but the transmission isn't shifting into gear, the shift cable that connects the lever to the transmission has likely come off at one end.
    jguest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 04:12 AM
    I have same problem and just realized I have brake light out. Will fix it tomorrow and let you know if that fixes problem. Hope it does as its been driving me crazy thanks for advise :)
    psychomike09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2011, 04:30 PM
    I have a 1995 nissan sentra that will not go into gear

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reverse Gear [ 12 Answers ]

Why airplane does not have Reverse Gear?

Reverse Gear [ 1 Answers ]

Why airplane does not have Reverse Gear?

2003 Honda - Difficulty changing gear from park to drive [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Honda Accord. Every other time I turn on my car I have difficulty getting the car out of park. It takes several attempts to get the car into gear (Reverse , Drive, etc.) and sometimes I have to turn the wheel in order for it to work. What do you think is the problem?

93 Mercury Grand Marquis that Won't Come out of Park and go into gear [ 1 Answers ]

I have 93 Mercury Grand Marquis, it seems to be stuck in Park, it starts and runs just fine, wheel turns and everything, it just won't come out of park and go into gear? :(

View more questions Search