Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flower81 Posts: 303, Reputation: 7

Jul 24, 2006, 05:49 AM
    What is the acceptable age
    What do you guys think is the acceptable age to start having sex?

I knew girls from school who were already having sex at the age 12 - 13.
    One girl I knew slept with over 7 guys in a space of 2 years, between the age of 12 - 14.
    Another I knew is worse than the one above!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2006, 06:12 AM
    I don't think you can distinguish an age.
    I basically think that before you jump into the sack its very important to have a basic knowledge and maturity for the consequences that can happen if you are not careful.
    But saying that I think 12 is too young to be thinking about having sex or already having sex!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2006, 06:41 AM
    It is my perosnal belief that the acceptable age to begin having sex is when one, whether male or female, is responsible enough to raise a child.

Sex is, or in my belief should be, a very mature decision. In having sex one should understand that there are no guarantees that one cannot become pregnant. NO birth control is 100% effective. So I believe that if a person is responsible enough to raise a child, that person is mature enough to have sex.

And many will ask, well J_9 how old were you when you first had sex? Well, it was on my wedding night and I was 20.

Just my thoughts.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 24, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Hi Flower81,
    I think J 9's answer is outstanding. I think it really does depend on emotional maturity, as well as other factors. Though I do feel there are certain, relatively universal guidelines. 12 years old is agreeably, absolutely too young to even begin thinking about such. Personally, I don't much agree with people engaging in sex before about 16 years of age, primarily based on statistically average brain development, and the likelihood of later regretting an impulsively made decision.
    As well, you should never feel you have to conform to the demands of any one person, or pressure from a peer group. Sex has always been more of a sacred act to me. I don't generally seek to be that intimate with someone, of whom I do not share at least, a very deep spiritual or energetic connection. Thus, I did not have sex myself for the first time, until I was 29 years old. :eek: :) Yes, my friends still consider me to be something of a freak to this day. But these are also typically the friends who have three children now in foster care, by two different mothers, neither of which they have contact with.
    If you truly feel ready, informed, and able to accept any possible consequences -- as long as you feel deeply connected to the person, it is probably primarily your decision. It is possible to be very physically intimate with someone, in a truly gratifying manner, without engaging in actual sexual intercourse. Perhaps even more so, in many instances. And this may sound strange coming from a guy, but ultimate pleasure does reside in the mind and heart.
    Just remember, there is only one first time for everything. Let it be a good experience. :)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 24, 2006, 05:04 PM
    It is entirely possible for people (boys & girls) to exaggerate their sexual experiences well beyond their teenager years, so please take anyone's word for it with something of a grain of salt? It looks like you are starting now with a really good habit of deciding things for yourself -- Bravo! It was wise that you asked your question here. Sex is heady stuff and there is lots to do before hitting that home run or whatever the current colloquialism is for "going all the way", LOL. Take your time. If I had been given a choice I would have waited for at least five years longer than it occurred the first time. As it was, it was an even longer time before I managed to make it right for me again. So be careful -- not careful like suspicious, but careful like full of care, care for you and care for your partner and care for that special time-- you are worth it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search