Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Green Elephant Posts: 106, Reputation: 8

Jan 8, 2009, 01:52 PM
    Does a Theater Degree do anything?
    Does getting a Theater degree really help with an acting career, or is it based mostly upon who you know?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 01:55 PM

I would imagine it does a great deal, because if you have done the work to get a Theater degree you're preparing yourself for an acting career. You could know the right people, but if you don't know how to act, well that's not going to get you into that field. If you're interested in acting go for it. You'll have fun!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 02:09 PM

Depends on if you have talent. I've worked with people that have no talent whatsoever, but have a degree - and the flip side, those that don't have a degree, but are amazing, leading part actors!

It also depends upon what you want to do. If you want to go into stage acting for a career, it definitely beefs out the resume. Doesn't really do much for community acting, or even semi-professional... at least in my experience.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 04:27 AM

Hi, Green Elephant!

Acting as a profession is one of the hardest areas to break into in order to make a successful living at it.

If you have a degree in it, then that's good! But, just having the degree won't get you the jobs.

Having the degree is okay, and it can help. But, getting experience acting and being able to put what you have done in acting on a resume is probably most important.

Who you know, does make a difference, too...

Thanks!
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Feb 1, 2009, 12:54 AM

True to a point. It's not what you do. It's who you do. It is definitely good to have connections but you should have some talent for sure and I'll bet you do. I'm sure you can think of an actor/actress who was a nobody but because they knew someone, they went a long way. I have seen many many extras in TV sitcoms and movies that have really blossomed in their careers because they proved themselves with their talent and nothing else. It is refreshing to see and hear that once in a while but the truth is, whether it's Hollywood or New York, it's a pretty tough jungle. I have a degree in Dance and I always knew that a piece of paper would not be enough. I had to be good. Really really good to make it. But this is about you and I don't think you will fail because you have talent, right? You can act, correct? Networking of course is always good but just go for it and I hope you realize that rejection is part of the game. Do you know how many times James Dean was rejected before he made it big after finally passing an audition? I want to say 262 or 267 but I could be off by a few. If I stand corrected, let me know because I just cheated and tried to find it through Google. Can't find the exact #. Best to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can indian master degree eligible to apply for H1 master degree quota? [ 4 Answers ]

HI I have a master degree(2 year) in computer science engineering from an Indian university. Would I be able to apply for H1 visa under h1 master degree quota?? Or would I be able to apply under both general and master degree quota? Help me out guys.. Thanks,

I don't want to have to sit at the theater until it comes on again . [ 6 Answers ]

I have been to the movie theater twice in the past two weeks. Both times I was there, I heard the same song and I like it. Unfortunately, I don't have much about it. A guy sings it... it is a like slower but bouncy rock type song (think Jack Johnson/John Mayer). It has the word "hip" in it. He...

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

View more questions Search