Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    random_chick Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Can stress cause depresion?
    Can stresss cause depretion in teenagers??
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 06:30 AM

Hi, random_chick!

Stress can cause a lot of things in a person, one of them being depression.

Is there a particular reason that you're asking this question? If so, what would be the reason, please?

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2009, 06:34 AM

Well lately I have been depressed. And I thought it was due to me doing my coursewok and exams.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 06:40 AM

A lot of pressure on a person can also lead to depression.

What do you think while you're depressed that might be a result of the depression, please?

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2009, 06:43 AM

When I'm depressed all I want to do is die. Or slit my wrists.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 06:48 AM
    You do know that those wouldn't be wise choices for you to make, don't you?

Jan 8, 2009, 06:53 AM

Yh I do, just that when I'm depressed I think it is the only way to stop it
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 07:14 AM

You don't have to hurt yourself in order to stop depression.

What are some things that you're interested in and involved in, please?

I do apologize for my Internet connection is really slow because I'm on a phone line and sometimes I get disconnected frequently.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 07:19 AM
    I'm going to call in some really caring people from this site who'll be able to also help you here.

Please don't despair, but be of good courage that you have a lot to live for rather than hurting yourself!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 08:16 AM

GOOD MORNING Random_Chick...

It is my pleasure to meet you. I see that you are "offline" can you come back to say hi?

Stringer
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 10:00 AM

Hi Random Chick.

I've suffered through depression for most of my life, in fact, I've been on anti-depressants for 7 years now, and they do help.

For most people depression is a temporary thing, but for others it is a chemical imbalance that does require medication to correct.

Have you talked to your doctor, that would be a good step to take.

There are other things that can help as well, there are hotlines you can call, and of course, there's us. :)

We're here if you need to talk, I hope that everything gets better. Keep one thing in mind. I know it's easy to think of ending things when you're depressed, but really, there are a lot of solutions to this, and hurting yourself isn't one of them. You are a unique and special person, you're here for a reason. You deserve to feel better and you will, one day.

Until then keep your chin up, I promise you, it will get better.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Absolutely it can. Been there, done that.

I've been through one really rough patch of depression. A job opportunity fell apart at the last moment, I had a new house (bigger bills), and the stress of being a new parent. I had a lot of reasons to be grateful for my blessings, but all I saw were my struggles.

No fun when the best part of your day is when you are sleeping.

And I certainly had the "would it be better if i wasnt here" thoughts on more than one occasion.

Also, don't neglect the "seasonal disorder" issues that are tied to less light and being shut in. couple that with the stress of classes and all the holiday noise and its common to feel much of what you are feeling, whether you are a teen or older.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 10:24 AM

Hi there R_C, I am so sorry you are having issues with depression. I go through periods of that and can identify with the feelings you have expressed in your posts. My cousin took his life as well as a good friend of my daughter's. If they had only waited three minutes, I believe they would be here today. In one moment's time, so many lives were changed and not for good. We miss them so much and their lives were filled with such promise.

Stress can certainly lend itself to depression. There are so many factors that lead to it but also so many things, like others have shared that can help pull you out of it. If you are having exams, chances are you are not sleeping enough, probably not eating the right kinds of foods, maybe too much fast food and caffeine, and not getting exercise.

Depression can be a complex issue to deal with and for some, as Alty says, requires meds. Some simple things I suggest is drink lots of water, as you are studying, then take a brisk 15 minute walk every so often. Don't forget to deep breathe, taking in air through your nose slowly and deeply to the count of 4 and out through pursed lips, slowly to the count of 6, exhaling more air than you took in. This will get lots of needed oxygen through your system, to your brain, which can help a bit with your state of mind. Do this just three or four times while in a relaxed position every hour or so. (If you do it too many times in a row, may make you a bit dizzy! I've done that, not fun.)

If eating better, exercise, fluids (75% of all Americans - not sure where you are from... sorry I didn't check profile yet - are dehydrated to some degree... too much coffee, tea, cola, rather than water and juices) don't seem to improve your state of mind, then wihtout fail... contact your physician. Also talk to a family member or a friend and sometimes just sharing the despair you are feeling, helps to lift part of that feeling.

Please... keep posting here. You will find much encouragement and just good friends here on this site.

Many more people will come on here that can help more than I but I do know some of these things I mentioned seem too simple, but do work. As I said, if not, do as Alty suggested and speak to your doctor. You may need an anti-depressant for a short time only... but if not, realize that all our systems are different and if you need them, then get them and feel better. Best to you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 10:31 AM

Rebby and KP are right. As for anti-depressants, most people only need them for a short time.

Realize that most meds take 5-6 weeks to start working, so see your doctor now. If you don't need meds your doctor will tell you and hopefully find an alternative for you.

You're young, school can be tough and stressful, so many things going on when you're a teen, but really, it does get better.

We all care what happens to you and trust me, there's nothing you can't share with us. We're here to listen, so come back and talk to us. The people on this site are great, Stringer, KP, Clough, Rebbie, they're all wonderful people, and I'm sure more people will come to offer some advice and a shoulder to lean on.

We're here for you, know that, come and let us carry some of the load.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 8, 2009, 10:51 AM

With all the pressure from school and life it's self... a lot of teens get depressed

The thoughts of you causing yourself bodily harm (being slitting your wrist), can progress into worse things and I do recommend professional consoling. There is nothing wrong with needing help every now and then.

As for the medication... which one? Did you start having these bad thoughts while on it? This could be a bad side effect of the medication your doctor needs to know about. If they started before just keep in mind... It's OK... we all have bad moments... It's what we do with them to make us better

Most depression medications are a build up medication and they can take several weeks.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks21 View Post
    With all the pressure from school and life it's self... alot of teens get depressed

The thoughts of you causing yourself bodily harm (being slitting your wrist), can progress into worse things and i do recommend professional consoling. There is nothing wrong with needing help every now and then.

As for the medication... which one? Did you start having these bad thoughts while on it? This could be a bad side effect of the medication your doctor needs to know about. If they started before just keep in mind... It's ok... we all have bad moments... It's what we do with them to make us better

Most depression medications are a build up medication and they can take several weeks.
    I may be wrong Starby but I don't think she is on medications. They were suggested by others.

Jan 8, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I may be wrong Starby but I don't think she is on medications. They were suggested by others.
    Ok... From the post I wasn't sure if there were or it was talk about going on... Better safe than sorry

I still think consoling would be the best option and certain medications monitored by a licensed healthcare professional. Yes it's not uncommon for teenage depression when there's a lot of stress, the best fix is often therapy

The problem is so common I bet there are even support groups where OP is.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks21 View Post
    Ok... From the post i wasn't sure if there were or it was talk about going on... Better safe than sorry

I still think consoling would be the best option and certain medications monitored by a licensed healthcare professional. Yes it's not uncommon for teenage depression when there's a lot of stress, the best fix is often therapy

The problem is so common I bet there are even support groups where OP is.
    Stringer got me confused with you! I'm Starby!

Jan 8, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    Stringer got me confused with you! I'm Starby!

Lol I did not intend to choose the name starbucks to confuse you... that was just what I was drinking at the time when I picked the name. It also cost some dollar amount and 21 cents.

But you can be starby...
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 8, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by random_chick View Post
    can stresss cause depretion in teenagers???
    You need to come back and talk to us sweetheart, so we can help you. Stress and depression go hand in hand. Actually few people know that stress in itself is an actual disease. It releases chemicals into your brain, and that is what causes a form of depression. The front part of your brain is sending off signals and to put it simply, your brain is mis-firing. You need something to balance that out. Whether it be in the form of medication, meditation, holistic or herbal remedies, exercise and such. You need to see your Dr. and describe your specific symptoms, and your schedule, eating habits, sleep patterns, and so on, to get a specific diagnosis.

With that said, having the thoughts that you are having need to be dealt with. There is never a good reason to consider suicide. You NEED to talk to a professional. I'm happy you came here. That is a good start. We are here to help you. DO NOT make any life changing, or God forbid, ending decisions, when you are in this frame of mind. You need to pick up a phone and call a friend or family member, come on here, call a crisis line, or anything you can do to get through the immediate feeling of urgency and depression. I know you might not understand how things in the brain work, but if you exercise even for a few minutes, it releases chemicals in your brain that will help with the immediate feeling until you can get to someone who can help you.

Please come back so we can talk with you more!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depresion and panic attacks [ 2 Answers ]

I suffer from depresion and panic attacks I've had a really bad life and its getting worse my son is dying and I am keeping all and everything bottled up inside I don't have anyone to talk to I feel I don't want to get up in the morning I'm tyred all the time and I feel like running and running I'm...

Depresion and parents [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, because of my fan... of a dad I'm now depressed my mate are all asking why and I'm taking it out on them, I just want to walk up to him and tell him to f off because he is really doing my head in and he think I got an attuted problem, its his fault that I have it!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:...

My depresion/eating disorder/my self hatred [ 3 Answers ]

Well my name is mags and I'm 18! And I hate myself sooo much.. its not even possibe 2 describe my hatred! Every time I look in the mirror I want to kil the ugly monster looking bk at me! I have been depressed since I was 13.. tats 5yrs of living with a silent depression!! I have also bee self...

My mom has depresion [ 3 Answers ]

A long history of depresion and suicide run in my family. My mother has always been independent and very strong willed. However for the past three month after learning that her husband of 15 years has had an affair she has been on an emotional roller coaster. She keeps saying that things will...

Depresion [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this goes here, but I can't think of anywere else, I am a teen, but I used to have real bad anger problems, now I've learnt to controle this, but in doing so, I've ahd to hide a lot of emotion and I'm sinking into depresion, I'm sick of not being me, butim afraid ot be me, and, my...

View more questions Search