Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manumercer Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jan 8, 2009, 03:16 AM
    At what age can my daughter decide to live wit me
    Hi I have a 6 year old daughter at the moment she lives with her mother. I have a contact order at present were I keep her 3 weekends out of 4 at what age can my daughter decide who she wants to live with.
    Regards, Gary
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manumercer View Post
    Hi i have a 6 year old daughter at the moment she lives with her mother. I have a contact order at present were i keep her 3 weekends out of 4 at what age can my daughter decide who she wants to live with.
    Reguards, Gary

What State? In "most" States the Court will hear her at age 12 but will not necessarily place custody according to her wishes.

Custody will be placed in the best interest of the child and Courts are concerned about minor children easily being swayed by the fewest rules, the most "toys."

This is also a legal question and I have asked that it be moved to that board.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 8, 2009, 09:31 AM

What's the state?

Often the child can decide on their own free will as early as 12 and sometimes at 16

The court may award custody to a parent which is often the mother

The court only wants the best for the child and at age 6 they're worried they may be swayed by ice cream
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks21 View Post
    What's the state?

Often the child can decide on their own free will as early as 12 and sometimes at 16

The court only wants the best for the child and at age 6 they're worried they may be swayed by ice cream

Trust me - this is not info the OP wants to hear or is willing to accept. Again - trust me on this one.

Jan 8, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Trust me - this is not info the OP wants to hear or is willing to accept. Again - trust me on this one.
    Sadly I know =(

The only way the father can get custody at this point would be a long drawn out custody battle and to prove the mother is unfit

Jan 8, 2009, 11:51 AM
    What's the state?

If only my ex is doing everything in her powerto torture my daughter she isn't mentaly capable of looking after her I'm there to pick up the pieces I'm the one who raised her for 5 years cause she couldn't even feed her my daughter cries every wkend she has to go back and begs me to let her stay you can never buy a child's love with imaterial things a parents love and protection is what they need some mothers believe it or not are unfit to raise kids but are still taken by the hand
    Gary.
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Jan 8, 2009, 11:55 AM

It should be at age 12 I thought in every state.
    WikiAnswers - Can a 12-year-old decide which parent they want to live with

Jan 8, 2009, 11:57 AM
    What's the state?

Sorry I forgot to say I'm from northern ireland
    Gary.

Jan 8, 2009, 12:13 PM

Northern Ireland does make a huge difference lol

Are you talking about a "vote of feet"?
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by topladyj View Post

You are quoting another free advice/opinon board, not a legal source.

The amusing thing about this is that I actually posted on that board about 2 years ago, fairly frequently, and people have posted here, quoting ME! It's an advice board, not a legal source.

Jan 8, 2009, 12:52 PM

I believe a child can chose aka "vote of feet" when the judge can declare the child has understanding of the situation... from what I read it's around the age of 16. There isn't a exact age.

Sadly six is too young for any judge.

Jan 8, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Northern Ireland does make a huge difference lol

Are you talking about a "vote of feet"?
    In what way does it make a difference

Jan 8, 2009, 01:31 PM

The laws are slightly different from the ones in the united states.

Jan 8, 2009, 01:50 PM

I do know the ss can speak to her and speak for her in court the sad thing is her mother doesn't even want herbut is using her to get to me

Jan 8, 2009, 01:52 PM

Those situations always stink

Maybe eventually the anger will subside and the mother and you can go back to court and have custody awarded to you but sadly for now I don't think there is anything you can do

Jan 8, 2009, 02:02 PM

I know its just so worrying that she's not safe with herher health is starting to suffer ss says they will keep an eye on her but I see a change in her each time you can even see the fear in her wee eyes when I take her back.

Jan 8, 2009, 02:11 PM
    i know its just so worrying that shes not safe with herher health is starting to suffer ss says they will keep an eye on her but i see a change in her each time you can even see the fear in her wee eyes when i take her back.
    Well she does have a lot to fear. I'm pretty sure this is fairly new to her. I'm pretty sure right now you just have to trust ss will do it's job

Jan 8, 2009, 02:19 PM

Ss can be very laid back here and always try and keep mother and child together I've seen that myself with friends my barrister says just to sit back and my ex will hang herself if we give her enough rope

Jan 8, 2009, 02:22 PM
    ss can be very laid back here and always try and keep mother and child together ive seen that myself with friends my barrister says just to sit back and my ex will hang herself if we give her enough rope
    While I hope you don't mean literally but that pretty much is true with anything. I think if she really didn't want to have custody of the child you may find yourself with custody in a few years.

Jan 8, 2009, 02:29 PM

That's just an old saying over here she just wants to use her as a weapon against me now I'm in a new relationship with someone she knows and has a daughter the same age who my daughter loves to bits she is what a mother should be always puts the kids first no matter what

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the age a child can decide which parent to live with [ 8 Answers ]

Hi my daughter is 14 and doesn't like my rules, her father told her there would be no rules at his house if she went to live with him, does anyone know the rules in NH, can she just decide or does he have to fight me on this?

Can a child decide where to live just because? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 15 yr. and 13 yr. old boys. Father has told them they can go to court and live with him full time when older son turns 16. We currantly share 50/50 custody. They sleep on a couch at dad's and do not have their own room. They live in a 2 bedroom condo with 7 people. My son's have their...

Age a child can decide where to live [ 25 Answers ]

Does anyone know at what age a child has a say to whom they live with. I was divorced in Massachusettes.

Age at which you can decide who you want to live with. [ 2 Answers ]

I want to go to kent schools to further my education instaed of stow and I will have to partly live with my dad to do so, which I have no problem with. I want to know how old you have to be to decide which parent you want to live with.

Can a 16yr old decide who he/she wants to live with? [ 6 Answers ]

Can a 16 yr old decide where he or she wants to liv? I live with my mom but I want to move with my dad we used to live in Texas but she moved in with her boyfriend to North Carolina and I want to move back with my father what should I do?

View more questions Search