Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hurtmum Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2010, 07:16 PM
    I went through the same situation as you for many years but did not have the courage to leave and felt that my children were better off with two parents even though their father was unavailable to them emotionally and they were witnessing their mother being abused. Emotional and verbal abuse is invisible to onlookers but it will destroy yourself confidence and self esteem if you allow it to continue. Children who are witness to this type of abuse sometimes develop the same way of relating to other women as they get older as this is all they know. I would tell my boys that as they got older this is not the way that men should talk to women and all people deserve a right to be spoken to and treated with respect. My boys are all grown now and I do see certain behaviour traits in them that were probably from the environment they were subjected to. What I'm trying to say is think very carefully about your decision because it is not always best to stay for the children's sake as your son will look up to his father as a role model and if your husband is not treating you respectfully this will have more of an impact on yopur son's life than you may think. My thoughts are with you you have years on your side, if your husband agrees to counselling I would make this a condition of you considering reconciliation. Good luck.
    rita76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 10:49 PM
    Hi, I have been married to an abuser for 20 year. We separated a year ago. However we realized that we are not better off separated. Our son took it very bad, he is failing school, smoking, got mixed up with the wrong crowd. We both lost our jobs, as we could not handle the separation really well.Our house is in foreclosure, and nobody can function.We were together since we were 18 and it proved to be difficult to be apart. Life is hell compared to a few disagreements and abuse on his behalf that we had before.

I am not sure what to do, my husband has been in counseling for a year, is willing to take medications, stopped drinking, and we just started marriage counseling, and he insisited on it. We both dated, I tried to have another relationship, but I think I want tp get back together with my husband. Everybody advices against it and painting the scary pics. That's the only reason, I am not back with him yet. According to the books he will not change, I am a woman with the abused syndrome, etc.
    What is the best way out of this?

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 07:26 AM
    You have to do what is right for you, go where your heart is. Maybe you need to give him a chance to change. Maybe you need to change.

No one can tell you what to do. Do the people who are advising you to leave know the whole story, how difficult the relationship was when you were apart?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My emotional abuse [ 5 Answers ]

I've been dating this guy for 6 months and I really do love him. Its been amazing. We can talk, I have fun and I love it. The problems didn't start until the 3rd month when my family started believing that I wasn't the same person again. I didn't notice my change. Lately they keep pushing this...

Is this Emotional Abuse? [ 6 Answers ]

I am writing as a deeply concerned sister. My brother left his overbearing, controlling, self-centered wife about 6 months ago. It took a lot of courage for him to leave. He is a good father and loves their children more than anything in this world. He took them to school everyday and got them...

Emotional abuse? [ 1 Answers ]

My father has put me down and insulted me my whole life. He thinks it is funny. Often the insult comes in front of other people and he says it like a joke. Growing up, I didn't realize the affect it had on me. I would call myself a loser, fat, stupid or whatever. Luckily, someone told me how awful...

Emotional abuse [ 5 Answers ]

Can emotional abuse as a child and teenager cause long term damage to your life as an adult? And can it affect your relationships or mental health, like cause a break down or something?

View more questions Search