Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 7, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Mutiwire branch Circuts
    I noticed a while back that I have 2 14 AWG multi-wire branch circuits from my box. Although they are not connected to dual breakers. Is this okay as long as they are connected to opposite legs on the service panel? I know if they were on the same it would be a big no no. Also I noticed that one of them seems to control nothing, hope he capped that wire off at the J box but I will take a look sometime. I had an electrician do it so I hope it's not a code violation.

Also, I am guessing the only reason they did this was to be cheap and save wire… Maybe I should just replace with them with 2 12/2 wires which I have plenty of. Thoughts?

Thanks, John
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 12:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    2 14 AWG multi-wire branch circuits from my box. Although they are not connected to dual breakers Maybe I should just go ahead and replace with them with 2 12/2 wires
    What exactly is going on here? And what does or did the 14/2WG go too? This sounds a little wild and sketchy here. Why all of a sudden a 12/2WG and what breaker were you going to use that gage wire on? ( 20amp breaker ) I hope. Remenber all gage wires in the branch circuit has to be same gage
    Please get back thank you

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Jan 8, 2009, 06:33 AM

Okay there are two 14/3 wires coming out of the box. The hot leads are connected to 15 Amp breakers (one black one red wire). They both go to J-Boxes and connect from there to the homes original wiring (old 50's style romex 12/2 w/o ground). In one j-box the 14/3 splits to two of the old 12/2 wires. In the other j-box the 14/3 connects to only one wire (I am assuming he just capped off one of the hot wires from the 14/3 in this j-box). They are all 120V circuits with a shared neutral (hence a multi-wire circuit) well that is until the j-box where they split out.

I don't really like the 14/3 multi-wire circuits for several reasons, one because I just prefer the 12 WG stuff and two I just don't like multi-wire circuits. But I would need two 12/2 wires to replace each 14/3 one. I probably will just keep the breaker at 15 Amp for now unless I find a reason to up it. No problem having a higher gage wire than needed…

Does that make sense now?
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Jan 8, 2009, 11:57 AM

The breakers should have handle ties. This is so that the neutral (which does normally carry current) will not have current on it when the breaker for either circuit is turned off. Without the handle ties a person might turn off a breaker and be working on a circuit with a neutral that still is carrying current. Handle ties make the breakers work in tandem so if one is off they must both be off.

Another option is to replace the breakers with a 2 pole breaker.

Yet another option is to get rid of the multi-wire circuits by running more romex and separating the neutrals.

Which route is taken is entirely up to you.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Multi-wire circuits are great, for several reasons.

NO, handle ties are not mandatory, not unless the installation was done under the 2008 NEC requirements.
    They are not a bad idea for the reason Tev mentioned, but if someone does not know what they are doing then they should not be messing with this stuff.

Jan 8, 2009, 03:52 PM

Well the install was done during 2008 so would it not be subject to 2008 NEC requirements.

Jan 8, 2009, 05:20 PM
    Since you are in NY a residential install would not even be under the NEC. It would be under the NYS Residential Code.
    The new 2007 NYSRC is based on the 2003 IRC.
    Commercial installs fall under the 2005 NEC.

Jan 9, 2009, 06:46 AM

Wow, thanks for the info Stan. In general when doing work around my house would I be safe following NEC or should I get myself an NYSRC or IRC handbook? Thanks...

Jan 9, 2009, 03:15 PM
    The NYSRC would be nice to have since it covers all trades.
    It reads very similar to the NEC and IRC, if not word for word in the areas it covers. You really do not need the whole NEC to do DIY household work.

Jan 9, 2009, 09:05 PM

Right… I don't even have a full NEC book just one that covers home wiring based on NEC 2008 rules. Don't know if you can buy a nice home wiring book just based on NYSRC, but since you say they should read basically the same I think I should be good.

Would the NEC 2008 be more stringent anyway, meaning if I followed that I would be meeting or exceeding any NY State codes? If so that is what I would follow, whatever the more stringent code is even if the inspector would pass less.

Jan 10, 2009, 07:17 AM
    The 2008 NEC would definitely be more stringent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swich between two circuts with one power leed [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to be able to switch between two circuts with one power leed. 12 volt circuit running two smal lamps. What I would like to do is have two lamps on one power leed using a common ground. Activate circuit one by turning on the switch and not have circuit two active. Switch circuts...

What rank and branch of service? [ 2 Answers ]

Found an old sepia toned picture of a now deceased relative. He's wearing what I think is a US Army uniform with a flat topped hat with a gold eagle insignia. Also has crossed sword insignias on his lapels. Is this an old cavalry uniform? He was born in 1896. I can't find any record of him serving...

What branch of AC and Heating should I buy? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in a process looking for new central air and heating unit for my home. I spoke to two contractors and here are my questions I would like to know to verify the contractor’s information. 1. My house is 1500 sqft. We are thinking about to add another 800 sqft so the total sqft in the house is...

View more questions Search