Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MXICN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 09:17 PM
    A Tough One
    De-orbit maneuvers are usually done to lower the perigee of the orbit to 60 miles (or less). The Orbiter is captured and re-enters as it passes into the atmosphere at this altitude.

There is a change of 1 mile for every 2 feet per second (fps) change in velocity when you are below a 500-mile altitude above the Earth.

Determine the change in velocity (delta-V) that the Shuttle will need to make if it is at an altitude of 220 miles above the Earth at apogee and 212 miles above the Earth at perigee, and needs to drop the perigee to an altitude of 60 miles.

Your answer needs to be in feet per second.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 25, 2009, 06:14 PM
    That looks more a question for the homework board.
    And possibly the reason why Nasa uses computers.
    But what has it to do with astronomy?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tough, Tough, Sport. Respect Is Due [ 2 Answers ]

This sport is very tough. I have always had much respect for triathletes. I would love to discuss the sport further with the athletes themselves.

It seems so tough to get together [ 3 Answers ]

I feel like it's very tough sometimes to have these conversations with friends because they unfortunately can become irritated and biased in certain situations. I have been dating this amazing girl for a little over 5 weeks. From the first night we met we have had the most amazing chemistry....

Here's a tough one. [ 3 Answers ]

It's a long story, but here goes... The sister of a girl I was seeing awhile back just got in contact with me to let me know that her sister had just committed suicide last week. Along with that blow came another one... One month ago she had our child. I was dumbfounded to say the least. I...

Too tough? [ 6 Answers ]

Too tough? I've had a relationship outside my marriage of twenty-eight years... My excuse? My wife is hospitalized with terminal cancer. She won't be coming home. Ever. She knows that and I know that. While sitting in a small room at the hospital, after my wife had gone through several...

Tough one... maybe... [ 7 Answers ]

This may be a tough one. I have a Florida drivers license. While on my honeymoon in Maui I got a DUI. I lost my driving privileges initially for one year but we got it down to 90 days. I currently live in San Diego, CA. My question is how do I get my license reinstated after the 90 days is up....

View more questions Search