Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redwolf424 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2012, 08:45 PM
    I'm on unsupervised probation and I have to pay restitution of 800$ and this is my first time ever being in trouble and if I pay at least 75% of it within my due date and still making payments on it will they throw me back in jail if I make an honest attempt to pay it?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Hello red:

Nahhh.

excon
    lt2k3k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 07:04 AM
    I owed 22,000 from 2 misedemeaners in Iowa 5 years ago, I got max fines, court cost and attorny fee and 2 years probation, I was released from probation and done with case except for money owed, I have paid $50 per month with never missing a month and this last month received a contempt of court hearing because I wouldn't pay more per month (I really can't afford more, not right now anyways), they had sent it to a collection agency and I guess they sent it back with their fee added on to it to make it 25,000+. I can't make the hearing cause I'm in training and when I called them they told me take it or go to jail. How is that possible I already served my sentence? So I can get more than what is allowed by state law on that charge by some loop holes?
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2013, 07:32 AM
    Hello it:

I can't make the hearing cause I'm in training
    If you DON'T make it, you'll be in jail. To me, staying OUT of the can is more important than training, which would do me absolutely NO GOOD if I'm in jail. But, that's just me.

Look. You're dealing with PO'S, who OF COURSE want you in jail. It does them NO good to be reasonable... So, you need to talk to someone who IS, and that's the JUDGE... But, if all he hears from the PO's is that you WON'T pay, and now you WON'T attend his hearing, he's absolutely going to put you in jail.

In MY opinion, if you present the judge with the facts as you've described them here, he won't do ANYTHING. He may even yell at the PO for harassing you.

Excon

PS> (edited) Besides, after I think about it for a minute, they CAN'T put you in jail anyway, because you're NO LONGER under their supervision.. I can't believe a judge would even schedule a hearing..

PPS>Ok, I see again, that it's a CONTEMPT of court issue, not a violation of probation. Contempt of court is CIVIL. Even if you're FOUND to be in contempt, there's NO jail time associated with it... But, seeing as how you're MAKING payments, it ISN'T even contempt. Contempt would be if you IGNORED the court, and you're doing the opposite.
    lt2k3k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
    The only problem is that I just got this job and we moved over 300 miles and this was paid for by the company, its done at end of February, I understand about rather be free than in jail but I can't pay anything without a job, thanks for your input. Also it is the clerk of courts pushing this.
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Hello again, lt:

Send the court a certified letter requesting a postponement. There's NO reason why they wouldn't grant it. Or, ask if you can appear telephonically. That's something they might do too.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can Criminal Court Orders for restitution be discharged with Chapter 7? [ 13 Answers ]

I was just notified by a Bankruptcy Court that an individual who has been ordered to pay restitution to me in both a CIVIL and CRIMINAL lawsuit has applied for a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. She is presently paying on the criminal order so that she won't be returned to prison. Is it possible to have...

Restitution in canada [ 6 Answers ]

Over 15 years ago I was charged with theft over 1000 in the province of PEI, I was sentenced to serve weekends (I was 18 and still in hightschool)and pay 10,000 dollars restitution for something I never did ( should have choose my friends more carefully) anyway I did the time but never paid the 10...

Interest on Restitution [ 1 Answers ]

I have paid my restitution in full. I had a court review and the DA wants to charge me interest. At the time of my plea interest was included in the deal, but today she said that the plea deal is unclear and interest should be charged. If the DA is successful in getting this interest added,...

Restitution or Criminal Action [ 9 Answers ]

I just ended a job working for a furniture store who stated that they were going out of business about 2 weeks ago. The director of loss prevention calls me today and states that they have some discrapancies with some money and want me to pay restitution of 11000.00 dollars or that they will file...

Restitution [ 7 Answers ]

My husband was charged with theft, stealing from a department store. The case is nearly finished and now they are saying he owes restitution for the items he tried to steal. He thinks that he shouldn't have to pay for the items since they never left the store and the store would have been able to...

View more questions Search