Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2009, 04:56 PM
    I am a Felon, I have college experience and it does absolutely nothing
    I found this site while I myself was looking for a different career path. I live in Michigan. The economy here is horrible. Yes I have some college experience in business management and I do have a good work history. I had a job up until about a month ago, but was let go, so now I have no job. I was interested in finding out some careers that I as a felon could go into withof course more college experience. I looked up statue of limitations and several other things. I saw that this site had a lot of questions on this subject so I thought I'd give my opinion. The fact is that no matter what kind of experience and knowledge that you have, if you are a felon, you will be looked over even if you are more qualified than the person with no experience. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a good job, but it definitely cuts your chances by about 75%. I know it sucks. Even with college experience the last job that I had was still bartending, and the one before that was a basic factory worker. Seriously this year I only made about $7000 and I have 3 kids. I work my butt off and have a good job history. Don't give up but don't fool yourself, expect to not find a job in a resonable timeline and expect to get paid less than most people doing the same position and sometimes even when you have a better position. I am still looking for career paths and the answers to a lot of my question, if I get them I will write what the answers are. Thanks for reading.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 05:04 PM

I am sorry you feel this way. I am aware of many felons who go on to have good jobs. I think where you live has a lot to do with if you get hired also. You need to investigate what jobs or careers are "hot" in your job market and see if any of those appeal to you. Then go for it.

Jan 8, 2009, 07:06 AM
    I agree that yes where you live has a lot to do with your outcome. And yes there are people that are felons that do have good jobs, but a lot of different factors go into play. Example: what were they professionally doing before they got the felony? Did they already have the schooling and experience? And of course were they honest about having the felony? There are many other factors also, but these are some of the main ones. I completely agree that it is possible to get a "good" job as a felon, but it also has to do with what that felony is and the person themselves. Not everyone can explain their situation well and how they have learned from what happened, but I can tell you this, if you a great communicator it can get you farther the education and experience you do or don't have. Communication is a powerful tool that can be used, but a lot of people don't have that ability and I'm guessing that I'm not one that is able to.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraKammeraad View Post
    I agree that yes where you live has alot to do with your outcome. And yes there are people that are felons that do have good jobs, but alot of different factors go into play. Example: what were they professionally doing before they got the felony? Did they already have the schooling and experience? And of course were they honest about having the felony? There are many other factors also, but these are some of the main ones. I completely agree that it is possible to get a "good" job as a felon, but it also has to do with what that felony is and the person themselves. Not everyone can explain their situation well and how they have learned from what happened, but I can tell you this, if you a great communicator it can get you farther the the education and experience you do or don't have. Communication is a powerful tool that can be used, but alot of people don't have that ability and I'm guessing that I'm not one that is able to.

First, no one is going to recommend that you NOT be honest about your felony conviction. If you are hired, no matter how competently you perform the job you can be let go for lying on your application and you would not be eligible for unemployment benefits.

You have to realistic - you "probably" can't be licensed or bonded in certain professions. As far as other professions, I don't know that it would matter. Depends on what you are applying for and the crime for which you were convicted.

I disagree about communication skills being more important than education and experience - I hired for a law firm, I run my own business, I manage my husband's business. If you don't have the basic qualifications I don't see you getting hired. No matter how likeable you may be if you don't have the basic skills, basic understanding, basic education the job requires you simply aren't a good fit and there is no way to talk around that.

The economy is so rough here also (I'm in NY) that employers don't have to settle for "less" right now.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 07:38 AM

By college experience do you mean a college degree? I know when reviewing a resume I look at that. "College Experience" just tells me that the applicant cannot commit to something. I couldn't care less what the degree is in. Just they then stuck with it.

I would rather see no college listed than partial college.

Just my 2 cents as someone that hires people frequently.

Edited to add: I don't care about a felony charge. I've never asked. Unless it was an assault on a coworker or felony theft against an employer... if it was not related to a job then I could not care less. I think of crimes as I do with relationships. If my girlfriend has a past, and we all have to assume she does, as long as it doesn't affect her present or me, I couldn't care less about it. I have a past too.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    By college experience do you mean a college degree? I know when reviewing a resume I look at that. "College Experience" just tells me that the applicant cannot commit to something. I couldn't care less what the degree is in. Just they then stuck with it.

I would rather see no college listed than partial college.

Just my 2 cents as someone that hires people frequently.

I agree - unless there's a good explanation it concerns me. The telling sign for me is "I attended College ..." as opposed to "My degree."

And I realize people run out of money, need to get a job, whatever the situation might be.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 07:47 AM

About 7 years ago I was looking for work. I had a baby and had resigned my job before but thought once I was ready I could jump back into the job market because I had 15 years of management experience under my belt.

I sent out hundreds of resumes. I never got a single call back. My crime? Not finishing my degree.

Many companies use computer software to read resumes and if you don't have the requirements like a BA or BS or MBA, etc. you will never be put in front of an HR person to interview.

Much will depend on what your felony was for. If it had to deal with money then many industries aren't going to take the risk, especially in this economy. If it had to do with violence, other companies aren't going to risk that you could possibly hurt a fellow employee or customer.

Depending on the nature of your felony, you can get it expunged. A fellow co-worker did it and has had her right to vote and her ability to be a notary public among other rights restored.

Jan 8, 2009, 08:03 AM

I definitely agee that not finishing college can be a huge factor in applying for a job. And yes most employers ask me if I attend to finish and why I did not at the time. It is very hard for me personally to explain it where it doesn't I guess scare them. I had a baby pass away and wanted to get myself together without having to worry about work or school at the time, so until I did such I did not go back to either. I have said this a lot everyone's situation is different, mine is confusing at times, but in my life, with having a felony I have been turned down for employment not based on my experience or knowledge but on the fact that I had a felony. I had a very good job that at the time that I was hired it didn't matter what your record was, they were bought out from a different company which to them it did matter. They brought me and about 30 or so other people into one room to explain to us why we were being fired, some of them didn't have felonies they had misdemeanors. There was a lady who had worked at the same place for 24 years that they had to fire due to a DUI that was still on her record, Yes she got serverence pay, but it doesn't do any good if you can't get another job. I did call the state of Michigan about the issue on my part and they said that they couldpretty much do hat they wanted. The discrimnation portion does not cover current conviction it only covers current charges meaning that if you are charged with something but not yet convicted that they can not, not give you that position based on the current charge. Life is hard that's a fact for everyone, but to me I agree that the past is the past but it really just sucks when your present is constintly being sabotaged by your past.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 10:26 AM

You'll just have to keep trying. May I suggest you apply to smaller companies who don't run background checks also? This may be to your advantage as well. If they don't ask, don't tell about the felony and don't go into a huge explanation about why you didn't finish your schooling. I know it's personal problems on your part, but a simple one sentence explanation is in order.
    dani smarcz Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2009, 01:31 PM
    When I was working in management I also would rather see an application with no education rather than a partial degree. I worked in management for five years. I started selling my soul to management when I was 19 years old and became a felon when I was 24.
    I also strongly believe that a felony does decrease your earning potential severely. Not only for one specific reason but from several separate reasons. One is the liability a felony carries and the trust that is breached through the crime you commit. All others would have to do with discrimination. How a felon is perceived in our society is that they are the lowest form of humanity.
    My earning potential dropped from 30k+ to 13k a year after conviction. I tried working for a couple of years and was laid off before I realized that I was wasting my time in dead end positions and found I can make more by attending college and doing side jobs from home. I have a solid education and a major educational goal that will be fulfilled after expungment.
    This is just one of the reasons our society is not doing well. We spend a ton of tax dollars housing a lot of people who really did not do a lot wrong and when they make it through the time they are forced to struggle and pay for fines and programs out of that little number. Our prisons overpopulate and the taxes go up for businesses. We are a wasteful society that needs to maximize profits by allowing employment rights to the ones who truly want to improve.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 06:15 AM

Hello:

For what it's worth, I NEVER had trouble finding work with ALL my felonies, and my income NEVER dropped a dime.

What I made certain of, is that I interviewed with the guy who does the hiring on the FIRST visit. That's only going to happen with small mom and pop businesses. If you have to submit "paperwork" with the word FELON on it, without a face and a personality attached, you're doomed.

excon
    dani smarcz Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 27, 2009, 11:36 PM
    Yeah but have you ever had a violent felony?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dani smarcz View Post
    This is just one of the reasons why our society is not doing well. We spend a ton of tax dollars housing a lot of people who really did not do a lot wrong and when they make it through the time they are forced to struggle and pay for fines and programs out of that little number. Our prisons overpopulate and the taxes go up for businesses. We are a wasteful society that needs to maximize profits by allowing employment rights to the ones who truly want to improve.

Keeping in mind that this is a criminal law board and not a discussion board, how would you determine which "ones" who truly want to improve from the "ones" who don't?

I have hired and do hired and as long as someone can be bonded - which is not as difficult as it would appear to be, "you" just have to keep trying various companies - a person with good credentials is hired.

And the felons who are forced to struggle and pay for fines and programs also have quite a struggle paying for College.
    dsmith99000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 02:17 PM
    It doesn't matter. Once the felony happens you're dead. I can't live with this anymore.

Mar 10, 2010, 02:18 PM

It doesn't matter. Once you are a felon you are damned. I can't live with this crap anymore.
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 05:12 PM

That is not the experience of other felons.

What is your question?

Mar 10, 2010, 05:24 PM

Just got turned down for a job yesterday because of this. Even marked on form for background check that I had a misdermeaner or felony conviction and gave the date. Made it known to them that I had gotten into trouble. Two days into my training I got told that they couldn't employ me because the fact that it was a felony. So, tell me I'm not damned. What is the point?
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith99000 View Post
    just got turned down for a job yesterday because of this. Even marked on form for background check that I had a misdermeaner or felony conviction and gave the date. Made it known to them that I had gotten into trouble. Two days into my training I got told that they couldn't employ me because the fact that it was a felony. So, tell me I'm not damned. What is the point?

This is a legal board - what is your legal question?

Any employer can refuse to hire based on a background check. Do I find it odd that you were hired after full disclosure and then terminated when in training? Possibly it's an insurance issue. I have no idea. Possibly it's simply a reason to get rid of you. I would ask.

If you are asking if this is discrimination, no, it is not.

Plenty of felons post on these boards. They apply, apply, apply for jobs until they are hired.
    alphadude Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 05:42 AM
    Does anyone live in North Carolina cause I was charged with a felony a year ago and it was hard to get a job back in the banking business where most of my experience lies, but my felony was due to flee and elude which was basically to me nothing and I called an attorney and stated that will be on my record for the rest of my life... I am currently pursuing a career in computer network systems and hope to get my degree in a couple of years but its hard right now to get a job in North Carolina and frustrated.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:31 PM

If your question is whether anyone "here" lives in NC, no, I don't believe anyone does.

My concern is that you find your felony charge to be "nothing," yet you were found guilty of a felony. What is that about? That's a heavy charge unless there are other circumstances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a felon in Texas and I am going to college but I do not know what I can do? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 23 and I got arrested for poss. Of a narcotic around 4 years ago I am currently in school and have not picked a major or field of study but I am about to make the dean's list :)... I am so scared that all my hard work is going to be in vain. I have no clue what I should do with my life or what...

Ex-felon wants college [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wanting to attend college I'm twenty years old and have been conficted of 3 felonies. None of them are violant or drug related what type of degrees in college can I major in an get a job when I complete school?

Felon and college [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a felon, just convicted back in August for dealing marijuana. And I am wanting to get into a recognized school for Audio Engineering. I am currently attending IVY Tech and have a 4.0, but would rather have a degree from a more prestigious college. Does anyone know if it is possible...

What do I go to college for as a felon? [ 9 Answers ]

I am almost 23 and a felon... I've been working dead end labor jobs for the past 4 and a half years and decided I want to go college to make more money because I can't survive now on my own with what I make a year... so my question is what can I go to school to study for that will overall give me a...

Credit for work experience and college credits [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have received associates degree, taken masters level courses and received numerous amounts of professional training considered as credit hours. Is there anyplace that is accredited and/or recognized that can equivilate this to a degree for me? Thanks, Jamie

View more questions Search