Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirley39 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Garnishment of SSI
    Can a 17 year old diasabled boy have his SSI ganished by a lawyer to pay for a bill he did not create? His parents hired the attorney but the attorney is saying sue him for payment---can this be done by law?

Thank you so very much
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 04:51 PM

He is a minor. The attorney needs to sue the parents, not the minor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2009, 04:53 PM

First SSI can't be garnished for unsecured debt. Second a 17 yr old can't enter into a contract legally.

Now, I'm unclear as to who is advising that who be sued. It sounds like the 17 yr old's parents have a lawyer that is advising them to sue the son. If that's the case they need a new lawyer, one who knows the law.
    shirley39 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Collection agency garnishment
    Can any collection agency garnish social security disability or social security?
    What about a judgement if this is all a person receives each month.
    Thank you and have a good evening.
    Shirley
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 25, 2009, 01:12 PM

I am a bit confused as to what you are asking
    As ScottGem said above social security is exempt from garnishment for unsecured debt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

IRS garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Can I, who cosigned on a loan, garnish someone's income tax to pay the loan or can the loan co garnish the income tax. Marti

Garnishment [ 4 Answers ]

I was informed by a law firm that my wages would be garnished for a debt I know to be 8-10 years old. I had worked out a plan to pay them with installments but my wife was laid off and I fell behind with the payments. Do I still have a legal leg to stand on regrding SOL if I attempted to repay in...

Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the state of Georgia... My paycheck is being garnished due to none payment of a car I purchased. I'm upset because, I had no knowledge of the garnishment until it was removed and my company notified me. Was I suppose to be notified before or not?Confused

Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I was served papers which I answered and sent the lawyer a demand for verification. They ignored the verification request and went to a different court and got a summary judgement. That judgement went through 3 months ago. Today I got a Summons of Continuing Garnishment. I left that job 6...

View more questions Search