Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blondie250481 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Depressed Rabbit?
    Hi, I bought a 6 month old rabbit from a breeder 4 days ago and I thought all was going well. He is eating and drinking and has got the hang on of his litter tray already. The problem is he just sits in his cage, doesn't play with any toys and looks scared. He will happily be cuddled but as soon as I let him onto the floor to play he just jumps back into his cage, sits there and looks depressed. I don't know how much space outside of his cage he was previously given or if he ever had access to toys but I'm worried he is stressed in his new home? Will he settle in given time and is there anything I can do to make him more settled? :(
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 05:00 PM

Hi Blondie.

First, congratulations on your new bunny. Bunnies are funny little animals, not that easy to figure out, but, when you do, they're great pets.

It sounds like your bunny is having a bit of trouble adjusting. It could be that he never had time outside of his cage, most breeders don't let their rabbits hop around, which is wrong, but, considering how many bunnies they usually have in their care, it isn't always feasible.

Your bunny is young so he should adjust fairly quickly. Take things slow, feed him treats by hand. Perhaps, when you take him out, place some of his favorite treats around the room for him to find. Just keep trying, sooner or later he'll figure out that the world outside of his cage is safe.

One important thing, your rabbit is at the age of sexual maturity, a time when many rabbits can become very hard to handle. It is really important to have your rabbit fixed, it will make him a better pet, and it will make him a healthier pet. You may have to phone around to find a vet that will neuter your rabbit, but it's worth the cost, it really is.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at my sticky under the "other pets & animals forum", there may be some helpful tips there for you.

I've owned rabbits all my life, I currently have 4 bunny babies, so, if you need any help, just ask.

Once again, cograts, they're wonderful little animals and bring so much joy to our lives. :)

Jan 8, 2009, 01:12 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. I hope its just a case of giving him time. He will take some carrot out of my hand but just doesn't like being out of his cage. I think your right about him not having time outside his cage with the breeder. They had 60 rabbits and guinea pigs which they show, so I don't think rabbits playing was their priority. I spoke to our vet and he said unless he was going to be around other rabbits not to get him neutered because of the risks associated with an anaesthetic? Would you still advise it?
    Pets Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 02:10 PM

I would definitely get him neutered. An un-neutered male rabbit will get aggressive and will spray, it's a nasty smell and it stains (I'm assuming he's an indoor bunny) the wall, because he will hit the wall behind his cage with the spray.

It sounds like your vet isn't familiar with rabbits, most vets aren't, they're considered an exotic animal. I would find a vet that specializes in rabbits. I've never met a vet that said neutering was a bad idea.

There is risk with anesthetic for any person or animal that goes under for an operation, but vets will take blood tests etc. to be sure that your pet won't have a reaction. I really do advise it, you will have a happier, healthier (most unaltered rabbits die of cancer) and easier to handle pet.

You may try calling your local humane society to ask for a vet near you that specializes in rabbits, some humane societies will even perform the operation at a lower cost in their facility.

As for your bunny, just keep making contact with him, the more time you spend with him the quicker he will get use to you and his new surroundings. He may also miss his bunny friends, rabbits are social animals, two is always better than one.

I'd love to see a picture if you have one. :)

Jan 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
    OK I think I will give a few vets a call and see what they say. I had read about them spraying and the health advantages of having him neutered, which is why I discussed it with the vet. I think I will see what I can find out. Will try and add a picture of him now though I'm new to this forum so I need to see if I can find out how to do it! Thanks for all the advice.:D
    Pets Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 03:04 PM

No problem, any time. :)

If you ever need any help, I'm here. :)

Jan 8, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Here are pictures of Hovis, named as my boyfriend thought he looked like a loaf of bread!!

Attachment 15219

Attachment 15220

Jan 8, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Name:  DSC03675.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  60.0 KB

[attach]15221[/attach

Hope you can view these ones!
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 02:24 PM

Oh my goodness, he's adorable. Lop ears are very timid, easily trained rabbits, good choice. :)

I love his furry little feet, he's just precious.

Okay, I know you didn't ask, but I'm posting some pics of my bunny babies.

Attachment 15257Attachment 15258

Attachment 15259Attachment 15260

Top left is Cotton, then Thumper
    Bottom left is Oreo and Kilala.

Cotton is the only store bought bunny, the rest are rescues.

Sorry, I can't help myself, love these little fuzz balls so much. :)

Jan 9, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Success! Tonight we decided to lift the lid off his cage and within seconds he cautiously hopped out. Within the hour he was running around the room and jumping in and out of his cage at his leisure! He seemed like a different rabbit! We will be getting him neutered as soon as I have given him time to settle in to his new home and I have found a reputable exotic vet. As for your bunnies they are gorgeous! I did consider a rescue, but I was concerned about not knowing their history. If we do look at getting him a mate, then maybe we will look at a rescue. My main priority at the moment is getting this little one settled in first. How long have you been keeping rabbits and are they all indoor bunnies?
    Pets Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 10:15 PM

I've had rabbits all my life, and yes, these little ones are all indoor rabbits.

Getting your little guy a playmate is a great idea, and making it a rescue bunny is even better. I live in Canada, and the amount of bunnies brought into the humane society is astounding. Thumper was a two time loser, spent some time on the streets and just couldn't seem to find his forever home. The last two people who adopted him and then returned him said he was aggressive. Well, we've had him for over 2 years now and he's the cuddliest little guy I've ever known. He's my TV bunny, he loves to sit on my lap and watch TV with me. :)

Kilala was one of over 200 rabbits brought in from the same home. The lady let them run wild in her house. Kilala was pregnant when she came into the shelter but they aborted the babies and spayed her at the same time. We've had her since May, and she's finally coming around. She's a bit wary of people, but she's gotten used to us, she especially likes my hubby.

Oreo was found living on the streets, someone must have dumped him off. A neighbors friend found her and then realized she couldn't keep her so we took her in. She's our little hop a lot, can't stop her, she hops on everything.

Cotton is our pet store bunny, we got him when he was 4 weeks old, tiny and fluffy. I couldn't leave him there. He's the tamest, and loves to be held and petted and loved. :)

They're all special. The nice thing about rabbits is that they can forget a troubled past, if they find the right people. You sound like the right person to me, so please consider a rescue bunny if you plan to get your little guy a friend. They really are happier with another bunny buddy. I can help you bond them, and the nice thing about a rescue, most times they are already spayed or neutered. Cost isn't an issue for me, but Cotton cost me $60 to adopt then over $300 to neuter. The rescue bunnies cost $25 and came fixed. Because I rescue I can afford to rescue more. :)

There I go babbling again. I simply can't say enough about my bunny babies. What can I say, I have a zoo. Three dogs, 4 bunnies a bird and a fish (yes, the fish counts;)).

I'm so happy he's settling in, keep me updated. I'm also glad he's found a wonderful home with caring people, there aren't enough people out there like you, I wish there were. :)

Jan 27, 2009, 02:02 PM
    The latest news is that he is really settling in now. He is still sometimes slightly timid but he loves been brushed and running around playing with his toys!

We have been told to give him fresh hay rather than hay bought in a shop. Originally we had it from the breeder but then she said when we wanted some more to buy if from a local farm. Is there any risk of him catching myxi or VHD from the hay? He has now been injected against them both but I read that they can still catch the diseases.
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 02:31 PM

I've never had my rabbits injected and they're all fine, never had a problem with any of my bunnies.

I buy from my local pet store. The product I buy is Premium softwood shavings, it's kiln dried, pine and spruce and it's been screened, the company that makes it is Norstar Industries, they're in Edmonton. One bag costs $10 and it lasts me for around 4 months. I clean the cages every day and do a complete removal of the shavings once a week for four bunnies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbit OK outside? [ 24 Answers ]

Our family got a Lop Ear Rabbit. She is 11 weeks old. She's not tiny by any means. I am allergic to her. I was planning to keep her in a cage inside, but now I can not do that. Is it OK to put her outside in a cage? Protected from the rain. The cage does have a roof. I'm just worried about the heat...

Is my rabbit depressed? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have one rabbit and I am not sure if he is depressed My mam is alergic to him so he lives in his hutch Outside,he has a big run whitch he enjoys running Up and down in everyday,but I am not sure if he is happy. Does anyone one a way to mabay give him more company? Thanks :)

Depressed Rabbit [ 2 Answers ]

Yes really. Well that's what it seems like. Now over the last week/10 days the weather has been very wet and our rabbit hasn't been his normal bouncy self. He's even been leaving carrots, which he normally demolishes with gusto. I have a feeling it's the bad weather and the lack of contact...

Is my rabbit OK outside, even if old [ 1 Answers ]

I care deeply about my rabbit and her safety, I bought her around the summer of 2006 and I bought her from a pet store from a local mall. I can keep her in my room, but I just cannot seem to potty train her, I have tried everything. Since she has never been outside, I am urging to know if I can...

New rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new mini lop the pet store said he is about 7 weeks old. I have been trying to litter train him. He is doing really well but when he gets onto the couch with me or my boyfriend he always pees and poops on the couch. Is this becoming a habit and if so how do we break him of this so he...

View more questions Search