Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jan 7, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Being gay is a gift from God.
    Being gay is a gift from God.
    Being gay is your divine right
    You are the image and likeness of God just as you are.

I was just watching Oprah, and one of the guest, a pastor said to a gay man (on skype) that being gay was a gift from God.
    Oprah responded "You are the only pastor I've ever known that believed that."
    After that, the other guest pastor chimed in... Make that two, I believe that too.

I felt this was an uplifting thought for all the gays out there that believe something is "wrong" with them. You are who you are, God made you who you are. I hope that message gets out to a lot of people that may be feeling shame. Also to parents, that may have shunned their gay children or turned them away. I hope hearts are touched by this.

Notice I put this under spirituality, not religion. Most religious types are too busy picking the bible apart to use as a tool to support their agenda, that they lose the bigger picture. That is to live as "godly" as possible. Be kind, be respectful, be loving.

I'm interested in what others think.
    kitten420 Posts: 237, Reputation: 20

Jan 7, 2009, 04:10 PM

I toatally agree. People aren't gay because they want to be. Its not a choice that they can make. I believe that it is a gift that god dave that divine person. I think all gays' should embrace who they are and be proud! I believe that gays have every right to be with another person that they enjoy spendng there time with and should be able to spend the rest of their life with that person if they please. Being gay is a gift because its something that most people can't even understand.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 04:20 PM

As guess as long as you are not talking about the christian god that they are a gift to some god.

Since of course you can't be a gift if you go against the teachings of that god.
    kitten420 Posts: 237, Reputation: 20

Jan 7, 2009, 04:51 PM

I honestly do not think that being gay is a sin.

PPL do NOT want to be gay it is NOT a choice that someone wants to make.

I honestly do not know one gay person that wanted to be gay.

nobody wants to go through life being confused and made fun of all the time. And getting beat up.

. Why would you even believe that God would create someone to be a sinner the rest of there life because they feel soemthign that they can't even control.

GOD loves all of his children. If they have faith though he opens them into his life.

I know a lot of gay christians and they have faith in the lord jesus christ. They believe that jesus died on the cross for all of they're sins.
    They believe that god loves them and made them special in every way just like he made me and you. And just like he loves me and you.

I don't know why people don't get it that gay people don't want to be gay. Its not a decision that they just make one day. Its something that they can't even control.

who in the heck that loves the lord jesus christ and goes to church everyday would want to be gay if its sinning. Answer me that question.

I'm not going to make this a argument or debate everyone has there beliefs. This is how I see it.

I know lots of gay people.
    They go to church every Sunday. And they love the lord and they belief the lord loves them. Now why would a person that goes to church every Sunday and prays to our father want to be a sinner?

do you really think that gay christians wake up one day and say you know what I might go to church everyday but since go thinks being gay is a sin I am going to be gay. And hey why not I love being made fun of and tormented for my whole life because I'm gay. So lets do it! And while were at it my father wouldn't want me to be gay and he would this own me so lets go do that to!

does any of that make sense to you because its not supposed to.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 05:05 PM

I think what's been understood by Bible readers as homosexuality is really something very different. St. Paul made up the word arsenokoitai (possibly really meaning sex offenders or male temple prostitutes) in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. Had Paul meant "homosexuals," he would have used the word paiderasste, the Greek term at the time for sexual behavior between males.

Jesus in Matt 15:18-20 said: "...those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man..." Homosexual behavior is not mentioned.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 07:59 AM

So now Oprah is your god simply because she found a couple of "pastors" who say it is OK to go against the teachings of God. There is one denomination who has ordained homosexuals as pastors. Does that make it right? Not according to the bible, the inspired word of God. And not according to the rest of the christian community. Homosexual acts, that is a sexual act between two men, two women is a sin according to the word of God. God does however say that we are to love the sinner, but hate the sin. So you can be a homosexual or feel that you are homosexual and as long as you are not doing anything about it, God will still love you.
    Bye the way, please name these two pastors?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 08:07 AM

So if you were born hetrosexual is that something that you can control? Just as you would expect that homosexuality is a behavior that can be controlled?

Being born hetrosexual does that make you better then others because you were born and that your natural feeling were not considered a sin? God states it is not our position to judge others, it's his position, are you not creating your own sin by judging homosexuals?
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2009, 08:28 AM

I agree that God makes you in his image. I also think that God gives us the right of free will. I have nothing against people being gay and I think God loves gay, straight, whatever no matter what, but I don't think that physically that it was meant for certain people to be gay. I guess I enjoy the idea that girls have babies and boys help.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Jan 8, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    So now Oprah is your god simply because she found a couple of "pastors" who say it is OK to go against the teachings of God. There is one denomination who has ordained homosexuals as pastors. Does that make it right? Not according to the bible, the inspired word of God. And not according to the rest of the christian community. Homosexual acts, that is a sexual act between two men, two women is a sin according to the word of God. God does however say that we are to love the sinner, but hate the sin. So you can be a homosexual or feel that you are homosexual and as long as you are not doing anything about it, God will still love you.
    My understanding is that God will still love you even if you do do something about it. Is God's love conditional? If so, then divorcies can't get God's love and what's worse is they can't stop being divorcies. Since all sin is equal and we all sin; repeatedly. Are we to be denied God's love? And how are we diffferent from practicing homosexuals if we continue to sin in our daily lives? The answer is we are not any different, we all sin and the point of Christianity is that Jesus died for those past, present and future sins. So long as you believe in Him, you will be saved. Practicing homosexuals can be saved, and many are. If you don't believe that is possible because they continue to sin: A) Why would you deny them the ultimate gift from God B) Why can can't they be saved, and heterosexuals can and they continue to sin?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 10:40 AM
    It has been my understanding that you can pretty much find any pastor to agree with a specific belief that you have. That's what makes the whole religion thing so fragmented and confrontational at times.

Jan 8, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Who said Oprah was God? Did I miss something?

Who said "go against the teachings of God? What they said is that " being gay is a gift from God." I think that means that your life and everything that you are is a gift from God.

You continue to say "not according to the bible" Don't you understand that the bible is just a history book, written by flawed people, supposedly inspired by God. Says who? What makes it more "truth" than what you find in your heart where God resides WITHIN you, not "out there" somewhere.

The phrase "love the sinner, not the sin" just gets on my nerves. Why ? Because it's the token response that christians toss out there so they can judge others but yet still keep one foot in their god camp. It is like in the south. You can say any bad thing you want, as long as you end it with "bless her heart". " Sally sure keeps a messy house, bless her heart.":eek:

You said God will still love you IF you are gay, but not "doing" anything. Gods love is never contingent. IF is not in Gods vocab. Stop painting god so small. :rolleyes:

Jan 8, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    It has been my understanding that you can pretty much find any pastor to agree with a specific belief that you have. That's what makes the whole religion thing so fragmented and confrontational at times.
    Yep, pastors are just people too. Listen to what others say, hear them out, read up on different perspectives, but ultimately YOU have to form your own beliefs based on what resonates as truth in your own heart. Religions are "boxed sets" of ideas, stories, beliefs that are spoon fed to you. Maybe some people need to be told what is real, I trust my own gut to filter out the clutter and leave the basics.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk View Post
    Who said Oprah was God? Did I miss something?

Who said "go against the teachings of God? What they said is that " being gay is a gift from God." I think that means that your life and everything that you are is a gift from God. Then I guess you do not believe in the Bible. It is NOT just an historical document. It is the inspired word of God. and if you do not believe that then there is no further use in discussing this as the secular world thinks there is nothing wrong with himosexuality.

You continue to say "not according to the bible" Don't you understand that the bible is just a history book, written by flawed people, supposedly inspired by God. Says who? What makes it more "truth" than what you find in your heart where God resides WITHIN you, not "out there" somewhere.

The phrase "love the sinner, not the sin" just gets on my nerves. Why ? Because it's the token response that christians toss out there so they can judge others but yet still keep one foot in their god camp. It is like in the south. You can say any bad thing you want, as long as you end it with "bless her heart". " Sally sure keeps a messy house, bless her heart.":eek:Sorry, again that is what MY bible teaches. Love the sinner, but hate the sin

You said God will still love you IF you are gay, but not "doing" anything. Gods love is never contingent. IF is not in Gods vocab. Stop painting god so small. :rolleyes:
    No, what I said was that god still loves you. But when you sin he hates the sin. There is no way you can be in fellowship with God and sin at the same time. But you will continue to believe what you want to believe, so have a nice life!

Jan 8, 2009, 12:35 PM
    No, what I said was that god still loves you. But when you sin he hates the sin. There is no way you can be in fellowship with God and sin at the same time. But you will continue to believe what you want to believe, so have a nice life!
    No, what you said is this, and I quote...

So you can be a homosexual or feel that you are homosexual and as long as you are not doing anything about it, God will still love you.

... as long as you are not doing anything about it, God will still love you. That's conditional, tell me how it is not.
    And I know that love the sinner, not the sin is in the bible, and boy howdy, it's turned out to be a great line when wagging your "church lady" finger (remember SNL?) at someone.

I'm getting down right mean and my god tells me I am going about this debate the wrong way. I think I'll walk away for awhile and re-adjust mu attitude. From your "have a nice life" statement, maybe you should too. We are not pleasing god with our angry attitudes.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
    God does however say that we are to love the sinner, but hate the sin.
    Apparently you may be wrong about that:
    Hate The Sin, Love The Sinner | GraceThruFaith
    And Does God Hate The Sin And The Sinner? | GraceThruFaith
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Jan 8, 2009, 12:42 PM
    There is no way you can be in fellowship with God and sin at the same time.
    I guess you aren't in fellowship with God then either. In fact, nobody on this planet is as we all sin.

Your argument does not hold up.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    From my reading of those that is exactly what I was trying to say.
    Matthew 6:24 (King James Version)

24No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 09:31 PM
    There is no way you can be in fellowship with God and sin at the same time.
    That means all Christians are in big trouble a lot, an awful lot.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 09:39 PM

Would it surprise you to know that "homosexual" in the Bible is not what we know is a homosexual? Maybe it's time we talk about Baal worship and pantheism and male & female temple prostitutes and some of the Hebrew and Greek words that were translated incorrectly because of the times and the culture.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Jan 8, 2009, 10:19 PM
    A gift... I wouldn't call it that. A test of strength maybe.

It's nice to know that people have started to become open-minded. We can only hope that everyone realizes that no matter how they interpret the bible, they can't say they "know" being gay is a choice until they experience it themselves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is an appropriate gift? [ 4 Answers ]

One of my nephews has just gotten engaged and I have no idea what to give as a gift. He got engaged on Tues. and registered on Thursday. When do I send the gift, there is talk of an engagement party this summer? I am very close to his mother and don't want to cause hard feelings. Is there a...

How much is gift tax on $100,000? [ 6 Answers ]

My parents are looking into helping me with a down payment on an apartment. The rule for gift tax is each parent can give you $13,000 per year without being taxes. But, if my parents wanted to give me $100,000 for a down payment on an apartment, how much would that be taxed? If anyone can point...

Is this an OK gift? [ 8 Answers ]

My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and...

View more questions Search