Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickdoff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 01:43 PM
    a writ of exercution
    My account was frozen from my x- husband opening up a cc in my name that I did not know about. This card was opened 6 yrs ago and I never received a letter.

I contacted a lawyer and he said I was needing to show proof. I do not have any. That was 2 weeks ago. The total was 4500.00 I only had 2300. In there. I just received a letter that they gave the cc 1172.00 and the rest released back in my account. What is going on? And also if they took only that much is this over?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickdoff View Post
    My account was frozen from my x- husband opening up a cc in my name that I did not know about. This card was opened 6 yrs ago and I never received a letter.

I contacted a lawyer and he said I was needing to show proof. I do not have any. That was 2 weeks ago. The total was 4500.00 I only had 2300. in there. I just recieved a letter that they gave the cc 1172.00 and the rest released back in my account. what is going on? and also if they took only that much is this over?
    First of all, if your ex opened an account in your name and forged your signature, then it's fraud and he's in more trouble than just having debt.

Second, your account cannot be frozen unless a judgment is placed against you. You or someone you reside with would have had to have been served court papers stating that the company was suing you for the debt before being able to freeze anything.

Contact the credit card company and request proof of debt; tell them you would like a copy of the original contract with your signature on it. If you can prove that you never signed the contract, then you can get the judgment off your credit report and work on suing your ex for forgery.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickdoff View Post

I contacted a lawyer and he said I was needing to show proof. I do not have any. That was 2 weeks ago. The total was 4500.00 I only had 2300. in there. I just recieved a letter that they gave the cc 1172.00 and the rest released back in my account. what is going on? and also if they took only that much is this over?

No, they can continue to collect from either one of you - assuming the Judgment is against both of you - until it's paid in full. If they released money back to you I would "assume" it's been paid, a percentage from you and a percentage from him.

You could go to Small Claims Court and sue your ex-husband for the money taken from your account if you had no knowledge of the card. You would have to contact the credit card company, explain the situation, ask them for information on the account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writ of execution in pa [ 2 Answers ]

I live in pa . Found out bank acct is frozen. Fortuantely there is only 54 cents in it. Received writ of execution in the mail.. owe 1300. To collection agency. I make 14000.00 per year. Cannot afford attorney. My question is can they take my ten yr old car etc.. I spoke to an attorney over...

Writ of execution [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm from pgh pa and got a writ of execution letter with a form for an appeal in the mail and now my accts. Are frozen how long do I got until my money in my accts. Will be gone thanks for all your help

Writ [ 4 Answers ]

My son has a mobible home and I am a co-signer the trailor is in a park on a lot lease with my son not me. He has quit paying for the trailor so I paying the park wants the trailor moved and back rent on land paid. The park has contacted the mortgage co about moving the trailor. The payments on...

Writ [ 7 Answers ]

I am a co signer on a mobile home my son will not pay so I am now he has the trailer in trailer home park he sign a lease with then I did not now they are wanting him to move it off and pay back rent. If not they will serve a writ is this my problem ? I had nothing to do with were the trailer is...

View more questions Search