Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfie250 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Converting 240 volt to 120 volt
    I have 15 pole lights that are 240 volt,and wish to drop them down to 120 volt to use regular energy saving 120 volt bulbs... my problem is this... I only have 2 wires running to each light socket,with a ground wire attached to a steel rod driven into the ground,and when I cut one wire loose I lose about 5 lights and a 480 light post... also,all the pole lights are not on the same circuit,so how do I convert to 120 volt,without affecting the 480 light and without losing the other lights
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 01:01 PM

1 hot wire needs to be identified as a neutral, connect to neutral bar, also identify all junctions and light pole with white tape for the new neutral. Connect the hot to a single pole 20 amp breaker if #12 or larger.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 01:02 PM
    If you have 240 volt poles, where is the 480 volt coming from? That needs a separate pair of wires.

Changing a circuit from 240 volts to 120 volt should be easy. Change out a 2 pole breaker with a single pole, and change one live wire to a neutral, Done.

Why going to 120 volt? This will increase voltage drop.

And the 480 volt going out when you cut one leg of a 240 volt, hmmmm, something is not right, or your mistaken.

I would like to know what is the existing pole lighting source is. Before you consider going to " regular energy saving" lamp, you should consider what the light output is of the existing pole lights, and will the new lamp meet or exceed this light output.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 03:27 PM
    How far are the poles out from the building? The reason for 240v is more lights on a circuit and to lessen voltage drop.
    Are the lights HID? Such as metal halide or HPS?

This sounds like a commercial setting, and from the sound of your questions you do not seem like an electrician. Are you sure you should be working on this stuff??
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 04:14 PM

I was hoping he meant the Light Post was a model 480?
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 04:41 PM

Stanforty and TK make good points on the Voltage Drop.
    If you are talking about "regular energy saving 120 volt flourescent bulbs" you shoud be OK.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Jan 7, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Wolfie250,

If these pole lights are at your home they are already 120v, you could check this by

Removing a lamp and looking at the info on it. Unless this is a 'custom' install you have

Two 120vac circuits (240vac) feeding the 15 poles.

If this is at your work place and in fact are 240v fixtures, you will not be able to simply

Change voltage and install new lamps.

IMO, you need to get someone with a little more experince to check this out for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Assemble a 220 volt outlet from two 110 volt circuits [ 5 Answers ]

I need help making a temporary 220 volt outlet cord. I have the female 220 v receptacle and two extension cords. I need this to connect a window AC. The electrician cannot come until mid next week. It is very hot here. He told me to put one these cords together for a temporary fix. He warned...

Switching from a 110 volt to 24 volt thermostat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1950's era hot water boiler using the baseboard style radiator. There is only one zone in the entire home. I would like to switch to a programmable style thermostat to better manage the heating in the house. Is there a way I can switch to a 24 volt thermostat using a relay or switch? ...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search