Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barefoot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Disabled husband-wife working-taxes and child support
    My husband has filed for disability-i am only one working-he was never behind on his payments till he became ill -i pay all the bills-why is it that I only get half of my return on my taxes-we need all the money we can get for all our medical bills and to survive- have filed a disabled spouse- but I still receive only half of my return-- does anyone have any sollutions?
    de_de_gc Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2009, 04:22 PM

You could file a Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation. This should allow you to separate your income and withholdings from your husband's. You can file this form with your 2008 income tax return, but for a prior year you need to file it separately. I do not know that once the amount is taken for child support that you will be able to recover past amounts, but.. . All they can do is say "no" when you make the request.

See: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8379.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my disabled wife on my taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I have not lived together as husband and wife in almost 3 yrs.She is disabled and receives SSI.We r still married ,but I live in the Upstairs portion of the house with my 72 yr old dad and she lives in the downstairs portion of the house with our 2 daughters.Both portions of the house...

Child Support for Disabled obligor. Oregon [ 6 Answers ]

What are the federal guide lines, for the obligor, when he is on ssdi (Disability), and his income is less than the federal poverty level?

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Medicare\SS taxes - husband on H1 wife on F1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can someone please help me with my scenario? I am on h1 for the full year 2008. My wife was on H4 until July 2008 and then she entered US on F1 in Aug 2008. Hence she passes the substantial presence test for being considered as Resident alien. I would like to file a joint return for 2008...

Should my 21yr old disabled son get child support? [ 2 Answers ]

My 21yr old son is parapalegic. He is very unstable and unresponsible. He has the mantality of a 14 yr old. He did not graduate high school, his dropped out in 9th grade at age 16. He lived with me from 1998-2005. I never asked for any supprt from my ex-spouse. We have 3 children, I have the...

View more questions Search