Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maqadir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Split A.C versus Window A.C-( urgent)
    Hello everyone,
    There is this 1 question that has been the centre of debate in my house and the cause of many family problems. The question is:

Does installing a Split A.C reduce your electricity Bill drastically in comparison to a window A.C?

Now I say that split is efficient but the bill remains about the same, maybe at-most 5-10% less.
    But my opposition says tat bill is reduced by at least 30-40%!

Now all I say is that it doesn't make noise, is slightly cheaper, no need to make holes... but the main problem in this discussion is the bill matter...
    Would appreciate if people could give their reviews and opinions on the bill situation and post some links with some facts and figures.

Thank you... Would really appreciate a quick reply.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2006, 09:20 AM
    I have included a white paper on the differences between various AC units, along with a link with further explantion.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/10087.shtml

Electrically speaking, comparing a window unit and a split system, each must be of the identical BTU value and SEER rating, the electrical operating costs should be the same.

I would tend to think that the split system be a bit less efficient, since the compressor is remote, and the refrigerant must travel through the exposed copper lines, allowing some cooling to be dissipated before getting to the indoor evaporator fan. The cold line is always well insulated, but still some efficiency should be lost.

Again, comparing both style units of equal ratings in an identical room, I would not expect the differences in operating costs to be much different.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf lib_ks_selectin_a_home_coooling_system.pdf (92.8 KB, 5480 views)
    maqadir Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Thank you Very muxh.. really appreciate tat help..
    nadeem5476 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 28, 2010, 08:39 AM
    I have checked the usage of both the units , I have one window a/c with 18000 BTU and one split unit of 18000 BTU , the main thing in window a/c which draws current is its motor (compressor is almost same as of split unit) but when the window unit is in thermostat mode it is still drawing 220 watts (bcz of the induction a/c motor) and in split that motor is notpresent at all but a 12 volts small tinymotor in the inner and 12 volts d/c outer motor and the unit is drawing not more than 23 watts when in thermostat . So this is the main thing where window is lacking.
    SUMIT DULANI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2012, 07:40 AM
    I just want to know which ac will be good for a single wall.
    One of my uncle told me to bought hitachi ac.
    My budget is 22000-25000 rs
    So in this budget which company ac will be suitable for me.. and will u please also suggest the advantage of split ac/split ac

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My split is really affecting me... [ 88 Answers ]

I just got separated after a short marriage. I was handling the situation really good throughout the entire separation and was doing OK until a few days ago. Now all of a sudden I can't eat, my stomach is in knots all day, I feel like I want my spouse back (even though for the past several months I...

Dating versus Relationships [ 28 Answers ]

It is obvious to me there is a lot of confusion between dating and relationships. Much like the resume may get you an interview, and the interview may land you that great job... it works much the same way in the romance department too. The introduction is what precedes being asked out or asking...

My Parents have split. [ 26 Answers ]

Hey guys, When I was 10yrs my Mum and Dad got divorced. It was very hard for me and growing up I have not really had much to do with my Dad; which is sad because I was always a Daddy's girl. My mum remarried when I was 12yrs and since then my Step-Dad has always been there for me. I look to...

Property split [ 1 Answers ]

hello, we inheriated property when my fatherinlaw died.everything has already cleared probate.our questions are 1-the proty is now tenants in common between the two brothers,they both are 50% owners equally.the willstated sellat fair market value at the time of death which both brothers didn't do...

20 amp versus 15 amp [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I would like to use 20 amp circuit breakers, 12 gauge wire, and 20 amp "commercial" outlets in my basement finishing job (for all the wiring you would normally service with 15 amp breakers). I know it's a little more expensive, but I like the idea of being able to expand when I need...

View more questions Search