Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ferdasef Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 09:32 AM
    OPT 5 year residency test
    I have a question regarding my residency status in the US. I am a Czech student working currently on my OPT. I studied for my bachelors degree in the Fall 1998- Spring 2002 period. After that I returned home to the Czech Republic and worked there for 5 years. I returned to get my master's degree in the Fall 2007-Summer 2008 period. I am not sure whether I am considered a resident given the fact that I was out of the USA for 5 years between my two study visits.

Can you help me with this question please? Am I or am I not a resident?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 07:27 PM
    You are a resident alien unless you WANT to be considered a non-resident alien and are willing to make the case to the IRS to that effect.

You get a TOTAL of five calendar years of "exempt" status, which you used up the first time you were here. After five years, the IRS considers you a resident alien UNLESS you prove that you are maintaining "a closer connection" to your home country and intend to return their after your OPT.

If you are working to get a work visa (H-1 or H-1B), you will undercut any argument for the closer connection.

IMPACT: As a resident alien, you ARE liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes while on OPT.

Now that you know that, you have the legal obligation to tell your employer so that he/she can take remedial action.
    ferdasef Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 10:48 AM

Thank you very much for your quick response. It was very helpful. I am currently paying both SS and Medicare. Status quo remains.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 08:37 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EtG test (80 hour Alcohol test) - Drink Friday will it be there on Tuesday/Wednesday? [ 21 Answers ]

I drank a few pitchers and a couple shots on Friday. I will either have to test on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wednesday is a must, but I could get called for random on Tuesday!? :confused: :eek:

IQ test for a 5 year old [ 21 Answers ]

Do they have "IQ" test for 5 year olds online? If so where can I find it?

NC residency [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to keep NC residency if living part of the time in another state and have just married? I own 2 properties in NC, my car is reg. and my driver license is NC, and I am reg to vote in NC.

Dual status alien, last year of residency [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the US from 1/1/2007 to 8/1/2007 on a J1 visa receiving income from a US university. On 8/2/2007 I moved back to my home country, Sweden, to start a new job. For the period in the US, I am a resident alien under the substantial presence test. Which is the right way for me to file...

IQ test for2 year old [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering where I could find an IQ test for a 2 year old? I have a daughter who is exceptionally smart and I am wondering what an appropriate test would be to measure the level of her intelligence. Thanks a lot!

View more questions Search