Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bissers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Switch broken or wiring problem?
    I originally try to install a ceiling fan with light but somehow messed up on the wiring. There are 3 sets of black and white + ground wires coming out for the octagon socket. It was connected to a light fixture but unfortunately my husband had took the plastic nuts off before I got a chance to take a look at which wire was connected to the light.

At first my ceiling fan moved but can only be turned on and off by pull (meaning the lightswitch doesn't work but there is power running to the fan). This way the rest of the circuit doesn't work, it affected the power in my washroom as well. I tired different ways of wiring it and either I get power for the rest of the house or just power for the fan but not controlled by switch.

In order to test out the connection, I decided to connected it back to the previous light fixture. I connected 1 black and 1 white and 2 blacks to the black wire coming from the light and 2 white to the white wire coming from the light. (I think that's how it was wired before.. I am pretty sure one black was to white) The power for the house seem to be fine and the light is on but it is not controlled by the switch! (cannot be turned off)

I was wondering if I have wired it wrong or if the switch is fried when I was testing out the other wiring combination??

I figure if I can get the light to work like it used to then I can use the same wiring combination for the fan.

Anyhelp would be great.. thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Review the diagram I provided. Note that the white to the switch connects to the hot input, so that the black return will connect to the light.

Your challenge is to:
    1. Find the 120 volt input.
    2. Determine which pair of black and white go to the switch.

If you have a voltage tester to find the input, and a continuity tester to find the switch wiring, you can connect the fan/light.

Hope this helps.
    bissers Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Thank you so much :D It took me a while but I rewired it as you suggested and it works perfect now :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan wiring on a 3-way switch HELP! [ 17 Answers ]

I originally had two 48" fluorescent lamps in the kitchen. The ballasts have gone and I've taken this opportunity to put up a ceiling fan. I have two switches. One at each entry to the kitchen. The question is... When the original lighting was removed there were two different sets of wires,...

Hampton Bay Fan light switch 'broken'? [ 1 Answers ]

Our light switch gets quite a workout. It just failed yesterday. :eek: Came out to use it in the morning and found it 'bottomed out'. That is, apparently the return spring has broken. I can force the pull chain up about an inch into the bottom ferrule; that's how I measured the slack. ...

Dimer switch wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a single pole switch with a new dimer switch. On the dimer there are four wires, rerd-black-blue and the ground. Where are all these wires connecting to. Jeff

Furnace fan switch wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I have an oil furnace, controlled by a thermostat that only has 2 wires going to it, but I want to be able to turn on the fan only from the fan switch on the t-stat. There do not appear to be any further connections at the furnace to hook up to, and the fan switch at the furnace (which can be set...

View more questions Search