Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdeyo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Misused words
    How can you create a strategy for remembering how these words should be used? Since and sense, affect and effect :rolleyes:
    Jay_Jay Posts: 74, Reputation: 15

Jul 23, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Hi ;) hope this helps AFFECT/EFFECT :)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 23, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Since is about time... its been a long time since I swung on a swing! (since and time are both words with an "i" in them, which may help to recall)
    When I say, "Well, since you asked..." -- what I really mean is, "Since its about TIME that you asked..."
    Since can also be somewhat substuituted with the word "because" whereas sense cannot be.

Sense is connected to sensation... My senses told me the elevator ride was making an anxious sensation in my tummy!
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 23, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Affect and effect are more difficult because their meanings are somewhat similar. Affect is only used as a verb and effect is a noun but can be a verb in a formal context. If one thing affects ( acts upon) another, it has an effect on it (causes change) You can affect people and things, but you can only effect (bring about) things.
    Jay_Jay Posts: 74, Reputation: 15

Jul 26, 2006, 04:16 AM
    sdeyo agrees: Thanks Jay_jay for everyone's help
    Your more than welcome & :) Welcome to the forum :) Hope to see to see you around again soon.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2006, 07:37 AM
    Hope this helps too. Accept / expect

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou..._spelprob.html

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/accept.html
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 11:45 AM
    As was mentioned, affect and effect can be confusing, but I generally use the idea of a being alphabetically before e... and likewise you must do the action (the affect) to create the following event (the effect). Not perfect, but it works for me.

As my tag line mentions, the ones that drive me mad are nauseous and nauseated.

People always say "i am nauseous" which means "i make other people sick to their stomachs" when they really mean they are "nauseated", meaning "i feel sick to my stomach" drives me nuts, but usually when one is feeling nauseated it isn't a good time to fight about wordage.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2006, 11:57 AM
    For all intents and purposes that is a great list. Your correct that its hard to figure out what is what. I guess the point is mute.
    vanria305 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Strategy for remembering misused words
    vanria305 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdeyo
    How can you create a strategy for remembering how these words should be used? since and sense, affect and effect :rolleyes:
    Than,then

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In 5 Words or less: What are you? [ 145 Answers ]

I'm just curious. I know a few of you but not many. I'm not looking for debate or comment, just wondering... Me: Ecumenical Evangelical Roman Catholic Christian

Words of wisdom... [ 4 Answers ]

When I was 15yrs in 1999, a song was release called 'Sunscreen'. At the time it did not really mean much to me or have much of an impact. I heard it for the first time since 1999 last night and the words had so much of an impact on me I just had to share it with you guys. It bought tears to my...

The spelling of words [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. Here is something that has been on my mind these last few days. I was hoping someone who knew this could be of assistance. In Canada/UK, we spell it colour. The Americans spell it color. In Canada, we spell it centre. The Americans spell it center. In Canada, we spell it...

Words in the Bible [ 4 Answers ]

There are roughly 177,00 words in the King James Version of the Bible. Of these words 12,000 of them differ from each other.. Given that, according to linguists, a normally educated person uses a vocabulary that has about 5,000 words and a well-educated person knows about 10,000 words, it could...

Misused words [ 9 Answers ]

When is it appropriate to correct someone who uses words incorrectly, or not words at all, like regardless? For example, what if someone says, "Wow, it's so random to see you here" at a bar that you both often go to in your neighborhood. That's not what random means. Or should I sit idly by...

View more questions Search