Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nklp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Connecting two computers through cable
    My desktop is on a network. It has two lan cards. I wish to connect my laptop to the desktop through a cross cable so that I can access the computers in the workgp of that desktop. I tried to do so but could only see the desktop and laptop on my laptop, whereas I can see all the computers in the wkgp on my desktop. Pl help me.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jan 7, 2009, 08:59 AM

Not sure if this will work or not...
    Open up Network Connections, right click on one of the nic's and select Bridge Connections.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 14, 2009, 06:22 AM

Post the IP address, subnet mask and gateway address of both of your LAN cards.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 14, 2009, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrike View Post
    Not sure if this will work or not...
    Open up Network Connections, right click on one of the nic's and select Bridge Connections.
    Yes, this *should* work. Bridging the connections means basically you're putting the two different networks on one wire. To use it like this, you have to make sure that both networks use the same subnet and IP range, and that there aren't any IPs the same. If the network that the desktop is connected to has a DHCP server like a router, then you'll want to set the connection on the laptop to obtain an address automatically.
    jacks90 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 05:57 PM
    If You Want to connect to computers with one wire to a network connection I don't think you can do that you should plug them in sepratly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting two computers [ 1 Answers ]

I just had DSL through AT&T installed. I want to know how to connect my laptop to the internet. Any advice will help me, thanks!

Connecting two computers [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium (it SUCKS):mad: and my brother has a Dell Dimension 310 with Windows XP Media Center Edition. His isn't connected to the internet, while mine is. He wants me to download stuff for him, then put it on his computer, but his doesn't even know...

Connecting two computers with nic cards&cross cable? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two computers one running windows xp with two nic cards. And the other one running debian with one nic card. My question is I cut a rj45 in half and tried to make a crossover cable. The windows computer is link to the net with one of the two nic card.I want to use the pic nic card to...

2 computers 1 not connecting [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 computers side by side,hooked up router, everythings been working properly for months, and now only one can connect, I bought new router, usb port,cables, the cable company says the motem is fine. If we want to use the computer we are hooking up direct. I need help figuring this out. So...

Connecting two computers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this "help desk" and this has probably been answered millions of times but can two computers be connected together through the same internet connection? And Also what would I need. The computers are running xp and the is 98 internet connection is wireless broadband. Thank you.

View more questions Search