Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dirkvs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 01:21 AM
    Do I have to return a gift
    Hi, my duaghter was given a car for her birthday by a friend. After three year they end the relation now he wants the car back.The car is registerd in his company's name what to do
    mamasanny Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 01:26 AM
    I don't know where you are from but I'm sure the rule goes with most states. If its not in her name then by law she has to return it.This doesn't mean its fair but the law has some hard laws sometimes for sure. Best wishes.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 12:43 PM

Since the registration is not in your daughter's name, it's not your daughter's car. Seems the car was loaned to her for these past three years, not given to her - meanwhile the BF's company has been paying registration fes and insurance on the car.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 02:32 PM

I'd have to agree, there is no proof he gave her the car, she should have asked for the registration to be in her name and should have been paying all bills relating to the upkeep of the car if it was really hers and not just a loan.

It will look like she was just using an un-used car owned by her BF's company.

Also the boyfiriend and the company are 2 separate entities, the boyfriend (even if he is the owner of the company) would not be legally allowed to give the car as a gift, something would have to be in writing whereby the company gave the car to your daughter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 04:28 PM

She has to give it back
    goochone Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Very simple, the car is not yours, return it. This is a long shot, go to his company and ask them if they will give you the car, you never know.
    THISISIT77YEAH Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 09:09 AM

The gift has to be returned. However, it does not seem like a gift when you have to return it. There are times we must choose our friends more carefully.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you find return on assets and return on equity? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find the return on assets and the return on equity given the following? Sales $27,000,000 Total assets 19,000,000 Total debt 6,400,000 Profit margin 8% Net income 2,160,000

Internal rate of return, net present value, return on invextment [ 1 Answers ]

what do we mean by internal rate of return, net present value and average annual return on investments? What do they imply? And, how are they computed?

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

View more questions Search