Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike703 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Wrongful eviction
    Can I counter sue for harassment at an eviction trial in NY?

My landlord refuses to cash my checks since he wants me out of his rent stabilized building. I am the main name on the current lease and he refuse to admit I am a tenant even though he signed and approved the lease over a year ago. He already somehow got an eviction approved without me even getting a summons to go to court.

Thanks for any help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike703 View Post
    Can I counter sue for harassment at an eviction trial in NY?

My landlord refuses to cash my checks since he wants me out of his rent stabilized building. I am the main name on the current lease and he refuse to admit I am a tenant even though he signed and approved the lease over a year ago. He already somehow got an eviction approved without me even getting a summons to goto court.

Thanks for any help

I don't see a countersuit here if the matter has already been heard and you've lost - that case is over.

I do see you going to the Clerk's Office, looking through the file, determining how it is alleged you were served, attempting to reopen the eviction on the grounds of bad service and THEN counterfiling - but depending on your area of NY two different Courts may be involved. Some eviction courts deal only with evictions, nothing else.

How have you been harmed financially? That is going to be your damage in this matter.

I'm a little confused that the landlord has a signed lease with you but claims you aren't a tenant. You DO say that you entered the lease over a year ago. Did it expire and was not renewed? He then very possibly didn't accept the rent because he is not going to offer you a new lease - for whatever reason - and wants you out.

Need more info such as the grounds for the eviction, why you went from lease to no lease, any other problems.

What is the harassment? If it's legal attempts to get you out, it's not harassment.
    Mike703 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 07:54 PM

Well the damage is I'm going to lose money from not going to work and possibly hiring a lawyer. I just got the eviction an hour ago and since its 10pm here I have to wait till tomorrow to call one.

I became sole tenant of this apartment after my mother moved out. I have always lived here an no where else,except for four years while I was in the army. According to rent succession those four years don't count as a different address.
    When I signed the lease a year ago both me and my mother were living here. She moved out two months later. He accepted rent checks from me until he found out my mom had moved out from the super. The current lease is a two year and does not expire until September. So how can he get the current one terminated just because he doesn't want my money.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike703 View Post
    Well the damage is I'm going to lose money from not going to work and possibly hiring a lawyer. I just got the eviction an hour ago and since its 10pm here I have to wait till tomorow to call one.

I became sole tenant of this apartment after my mother moved out. I have always lived here an no where else,except for four years while I was in the army. According to rent succesion those four years dont count as a diffrent address.
    When i signed the lease a year ago both me and my mother were living here. She moved out two months later. He accepted rent checks from me untill he found out my mom had moved out from the super. The current lease is a two year and does not expire untill September. So how can he get the current one terminated just because he doesn't want my money.

That doesn't rise to the level of damages - that's the cost of doing business (at least in NY).

If you have a written lease and are in compliance with the lease - and can prove you paid your rent in a timely fashion and he simply didn't cash the checks - you certainly have a defense to the eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida wrongful eviction attempt? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a tenant in a Florida condo, and the association wants me to leave because I refuse to go through the screening process. I refuse because I have been here for 14 months, I am an ideal tenant in every sense of the word (rent always on time, alone and very quiet, responsible), and my...

Wrongful discharge [ 8 Answers ]

I was taken out of work for medical reasons until further test were done.. my job fired me for medical reasons is this legal:mad:

Wrongful suit [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently being sued for credit card debt that's not my debt. Collection agency is suing me because I happen to be the only person in this area listed in phone book with that name. After responding to summons there law firm sent me stipulation to sign saying they would drop action but neither...

Wrongful termination [ 16 Answers ]

My son and I were terminated from our jobs wednesday; Normally I work in the morning shift, but I had requested to have the morning shift off. I received a phonecall on my answering machine in the morning, our employer stated that the place I work had called him, and said I left notes the...

View more questions Search