Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nicole82 Posts: 64, Reputation: 3

Jan 6, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Is this illegal
    I just started working front desk in a hotel. I never was given any papers to fill out concerning tax. I mentioned this to another worker and she told me that she hasn't either and he doesn't let his workers file:confused: Is this illegal. Its
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 07:19 PM

That is called 'working under the table' and no it is not legal especially a business such as a hotel.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 07:20 PM

Of course it's illegal. If you don't fill out any tax paperwork the employer is not going to withhold any taxes and will essentially be paying you under the table. This guy probably owes the government thousands of dollars.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 07:22 PM

No, if you are an employee, they are required to withhold tax, and they have to pay matching money to your social security account, they also should be paying unemployment taxes and have workers comp insurance on you.

If they do not do these things, you are not working legally.
    de_de_gc Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Jan 20, 2009, 01:40 PM

Agreed.

Not only should your employer have asked you questions about your withholding status and exemptions, but he/she should have asked you to complete papers to verify that you are eligible to work in the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it illegal? [ 6 Answers ]

I know it sounds stupid but is it illegal to let my 16 year old son drive my landrover on a field that is owned by me with me present in the passenger seat?

Is it illegal? [ 11 Answers ]

I am a 16 year old girl, soon to be 17. The guy that I like says that he won't date me because it is illegal, because he just turned 19. Is it? Do you think it is just an excuse, a way to let me down easy? ?? (I live in cali if that means anything)

Illegal sex? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 20, is it legal for us as a couple to have sex in the state of Texas?

Is it illegal for. [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anything illegal about a 14 year old and a 16 year old in Alabama to date? (nothing sexually involved) I'm asking because her grandma says she can get the law involved because the mental health dept. says she can, but wouldn't tell me what for.

View more questions Search