Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bprofilet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 06:21 PM
    Kitchen overhead light fixture loses brightness
    I had an overhead kitchen light fixture all of a sudden only illuminate to about 1/3rd the original brighness. All three bulbs are good. Both switches are "on/off" toggle (no rheostats). Reset the breaker to see if any difference (didn't think there would be, and there wasn't). Any ideas on what else to check or try?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 6, 2009, 06:25 PM
    Hello bprofilet

What type of light fixture ?

Filament, LED, or savings light bulb ?

:)

Jan 6, 2009, 06:28 PM

Filament
    -

Jan 6, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bprofilet
    filament
    And there was no change in electrical wiring anywhere in your house, from light fittings to main circuit board ?
    Any other strange changes in other light fittings ?

andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 6, 2009, 07:31 PM
    I'd try another light bulb, see if that takes care of it.

If that don't you can check the voltage. Make sure you are getting a good solid (steady) 120 volts at the outlet (light socket)

Note: 120 volts - just a general standard, should be somewhere in the neighborhood.

If not getting steady voltage, then you have a wiring issue, please write back.

Jan 6, 2009, 08:11 PM
    No other wiring changes or anything extraordinary happened in conjunction with the change in brightness. The fixture has three of the small (about the size of a AA battery) filament bulbs. All are lit, all are dim. I'm guessing it's a voltage issue, as I don't know what else would cause the change where the bulbs would work at a lower brightness.

Jan 6, 2009, 08:34 PM

What kind of fixture is this?

What I mean is, does it take 120 volts, or a lower voltage, like a battery, or small transformer powered lamp?

That's a small bulb, and odd bulb (about the size of a AA battery) Must be a halogen bulb, that's the only thing I can think of.

What ever voltage the unit requires (120?) I'd check it and make sure its up to par.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Jan 7, 2009, 07:39 PM
    I'd say you have a bad connection, probably the neutral (white) wire. If it was a voltage

Problem, it would effect everything in the house. If it is just this light, then take it down

And see what is going on. TURN OFF THE BREAKER FIRST, really, it's the way all smart

Electricians do it. Good luck!
    -

Jan 8, 2009, 05:20 PM
    Are these bulbs perhaps low voltage lights? For instance 12 or 24 Volt halogen bulbs ?
    Than it could be caused by a transformer / power supply problem.

:)

Jan 8, 2009, 05:29 PM

I don't think he's going to get back to us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom fan/light fixture and other light [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom and am having trouble with the wiring of the switches. Existing wiring controlled an fan switch, separate switch for the light, a switch for vanity light and an outlet. I want to eliminate the outlet so need to wire the three switches separely in a 3 gang box. The wiring...

Fan loses power when light turned up [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan with light. Both light & fan are controlled through a Lutron dimmer. When the fan is running and I turn the lights to high, the fan slows down to almost no movement, regardless of the fan dimmer setting. Both the fan and the light work great independently but do not work...

Light fixture is Dim [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a Harbor breeze avian fan. I follow instruction book to hook the fan and light with the remote control. Everything is working fine accept the light is very dim for 100 watts halogen bulb. Please help. Thanks

Adding an overhead fixture where there wasn't one before. [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I just moved into our new house a few months ago and we're looking to add a ceiling fan in our master bedroom. The problem is that there isn't a preexisting fixture to replace therefore I need to add power to a box so I can hang the fan. I've been up in the attic (I was up there...

Changed from fan to light fixture and now light will not shut off [ 1 Answers ]

Today I tried to replace a ceiling fan to a light fixture. I connected the black to black white to white and copper to ground. I have a red wire that I don't know what goes to. The light now will not turn off. Should the red wire be connected to something?

View more questions Search