Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamesk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Water Pump Losing Pressure
    My water pump (3/4 HP), which is at least 5-10 year old has lost the ability to retain pressure. I thought it might be the pressure tank, however, I turned off the feed from the pump to the pressure tank and it still lost pressure. This makes me believe that the pump is the problem. I draw water approx. 20ft to the head, from a fresh water lake. I would appreciate any assistance as a replacement pump is approx $400. Can the pump be repaired (i.e. seals replaced). I am guessing the pump will last a few more days before it ends up burning out as it cycles every 1-2 minutes to keep pressure.

Is there a chance it is a vaulty check valve, and if so how can you open the pump and replace it? I am a backyard mechanic that know little and is willing to learn. I read in a similar post, that a check valve and foot valve are the same thing. Considering the foot valve is probably 20 ft down in the lake, is there a way I can test this, or are my symptoms of losing pressure (with the pressure tank shut off - house cut off from pump) a easy sign of a replacement?

Consider I am pulling from a lake is there a chance some sand/silt has gotten between a seal somewhere, and finally, are these pumps worth fixing (are they serviceable)?

I really appreciate the help from the experts.
    pinkpanthernot Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2006, 04:41 AM
    I think you have two problems.
    First is a faulty check valve that allows pressurized water to backflow toward the pump. It's probably not in the pump assembly itself but certainly upstream from the point where your first point of water use is i.e.. where the house draws water from the system. These valves come in different configurations but you see it as possibly looking like a largish shutoff valve with no handle.
    Second, you may have a pressure tank that is full of water. If so, there is little or no air in the tank for the pump to compress so any, and I mean any, loss of water in the house from a leak will cause your pump to cycle often. There should be an air valve on the tank for the express purpose of replacing this air "pocket". Over time, this air is absorbed into the water system allowing the water level to rise in the tank. Pump some air into the tank and pump cycling problem is solved.
    You'll still want to repair any leaks. Then if there is a valve that you can turn off that will isolate the house but retain pressure on the check valve, and the pressure still drops, you need a new valve.
    scf420 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Comment on pinkpanthernot's post
    Good answers and should be looked at but also if you are pulling water from a lake a good chance the foot valve(check valve) is dirty or clogged with grass or other matter. Pull it off, clean it and try again. Let us know. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Losing Water Pressure in Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Help - I have a 2 story house w/ basement. I also have well water. Suddenly the water pressure in the master bathroom has gotten very low. We just replaced the shower head and took out the water pressure valve, that didn't help. We turned the shower on w/o the head on and got a good flow of...

Sprinkler pump is losing its prime [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all... my sprinkler pump is losing its prime on a daily basis. I have a newly sodded lawn and need to water daily. Could it be the check valve causing this? The check valve has been rattling lately when the sprinklers are on. If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated. THanks.

Losing pressure in the shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a single handle Kohler showerhead that is only about three or four years old. Recently, the pressure has dropped dramatically when the water is turned on. No other faucet in the house is having a problem. It is only that one showerhead. Any ideas?

View more questions Search