Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BRIANNA421 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 04:09 PM
    401k distribution/loans
    I have a 401k, which has funds that were pretaxed and after taxed funds. I also have a loan. I would like to know if I take funds from my 401k after tax, will I GET penalized and can I pay back my loan or take the remaining balance as a distribution. Which way will be cheaper? When I take the funds that were after taxed, will I be penalized even though taxes were paid?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 04:16 PM

When you put taxed monies into your 401k did you claim them on your income taxes that year? If not, you should have. You can go back and amend your return for that year, but yes, in almost all cases for a regular distribution of funds, you will be taxed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Distribution [ 4 Answers ]

My husband Paul was permanently laid off from his job in December 2005, at the age of 60. He has approximately $130,000 in his 401(k) plan. He worked for the company for 20 years and is fully vested in the plan. I am his wife and am 51 years old. Neither of us is currently employed. For...

401k Distribution [ 1 Answers ]

I had bought some stock that is now not listed. I have 7 million shares.. penny stocks but I put in around 3K total. How do you claim a loss on a stock that is now unlisted or 0? Thanks

401k distribution $58,000 [ 1 Answers ]

I withdraw $58,000 out of my 401k for a first time home buyer. Only to find out that that rule applies to IRA's. Michigan taxes me at around 4% on my income and the $58,000. It appears that I can write off the $58,000 on schedule 1 against my income for Michigan tax purposes. Is that the case??...

Tax on 401k distribution after age 65 [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099r but Turbo Tax does not ask for that form. Is a distribution in 2007 taxable? I am 66.

401k distribution [ 1 Answers ]

My husband died in 2006, he had a 401k with me (spouse) as his benificiary. We have 2 young sons and I cashed out the 401k to use for the down payment of a primary residence. All of the paperwork has not been done, but I will get all of the papers in order during 2007. Is there a certain amount...

View more questions Search