Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quickwillie Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Roto-rooting leach field drain
    Is it safe to roto-root out leach field drain ? It might have clay tiles .
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 05:38 PM

Well it could be a pickle. If the clay tiles are sound then a roto rooter could be fine.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 06:12 PM

You do not root a field tile, clay or not. A field should never get solids, ever, just liquid. If you got solids then the tile and the soil arounds it is plugged and will fail, rooting will not fix this. Tell us exactly what your problems are and who told you to root a field to start with? When you remove your tank lid does it over flow onto the ground?
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 06:29 PM

Good question ballengerb1 I took the "drain" as the pipe going out of the house to the outside system heading towards the "leach field" I install septics and my head didn't go to the actual field simply after tank done is done except a tree root right before field Thanks for the covering for me!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 06:57 PM

Good advice from all. 21boat makes a good point about possible tree root in field. It is possible that roots have grown in and blocked outgoing pipe of septic. Not likely but very possible. Also, if septic did get full and let solids into field pipe, you can always hope that it plugged up within the first so many feet of pipe. Then augering pipe would clear blockage, and allow the rest of the field pipe to work properly. If this is the case, you will have lost a good portion of functionalbility of your drain field. Best save up for a backhoe operator.
    quickwillie Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You do not root a field tile, clay or not. A field should never get solids, ever, just liquid. If you got solids then the tile and the soil arounds it is plugged and will fail, rooting will not fix this. Tell us exactly what your problems are and who told you to root a field to start with? When you remove your tank lid does it over flow onto the ground?
    We had are septic tank pumped out because are drains would gurggle when the bathtub and washer would drain . The guy came out and he couldn`t find the access lid so he drilled a hole in top of tank . He didn`t cap it off right away , berfore he capped it off I noticed sewer smelling water had filled the hole that he had dig .The tank was full of water , when he came back to cap it off he said that the drain pipe from field was plugged . He said that I might have root it out to get it to drain .
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    He said that I might have root it out to get it to drain .
    Your guy may be correct on the outside chance the pipe has a tree root in pipe or its broken and collapsed to the field. So its not far fetched. I can't imagine a honey wagon pump man actually meant the field itself but maybe he's a newbie or the wording got a little skewed
    Simply put if the pipe in the drainfeild is clogged because the drainfeild is clogged with solids and not leaching anymore it a new drainfeild at that point. I install septic systems and repair them only twice did I see a root jam up the pipe right before the driain field. There's one other thing to look at. Right before the drainfeild is a distrubation box the tank line comes into and the box splits that waste water and sends it down different pipes to drain field beds or trenched system leach field. If that box is out of level from the start then only half of the drainfield is working. Those I've reset many times Here's the skinny on drain field failure
    1 Bad perk or perked in dry season and wet seasons with winter over saturates the drainfeild and sized bed or trenching was under
    2 Drainfeild was set to low and in a water runoff are and downspouts could add to that.
    3. Undersized septic tanks to new or original occupancy of house and bigger family.
    4. Tank was not maintained for solids build up and the buildup lessoned the liquid for microbes to breakup solids.
    5. Too much house holds cleaner killed microbes in tank again solids build up too much
    6. Too much solids and tank failure lets solids travel into drainfeild and clogs the crushed stone voids and lecahing through stone stops. Failed field.
    7. Pipe in or two drainfeild was crushed while backfilling.
    8. Pipe slope to field was to flat and flow builds up and slow clog
    9. Distribution box set before field and unbalanced liquid waste was only in part of field.
    10 A tree root from septic tank to field grew in line and clogged it up
    11. A broken pipe and not flow to field from tank.
    12 A possible venting problem slowing flow to drain field but very unlikely
    You can pick from the list on the possibles of your problem
    Now there one way to try and save the Field. Do short showers. Flush toilet only when you have to. In Hawaii its. Ifs its yellow let it mellow"
    Check grades. Check tank size and may need another tank for you captivity's. There are drainfeild and sewer line additives to try and resolve the clog there are many new additives to help a tank and field in trouble its worth a try. For a new engineered Field is $15,0000 on up You can try to see if the pipe to field is somehow clogged by a brake or a tree root but I can bascially guarantee if not the box and field is the trouble. That why I posted eairlier the way out side chance o root or broken mudded up pipe/tile was your last ditch effort. On a side not if the township gets an attudide and you don't resolve this. Your house could end up deemed uninhabitial from human occupation. I see it happen through and inspecter and D E R backing them up. Not trying to scare but that's the A to Z on septics.

SKY: 705616
    Roebic, 32OZ Main Line Sewer/Septic Cleaner, Concentrated Bacterial Waste Degrading Product For Any Sewer Line, Clears Fats, Grease, Sludge, & Paper, For Any Household, Whether Septic System Or Sewer. ROEBIC LABORATORIES INC

PRICE: $7.68

check out other Tech Bio NT-MAX http://www.newtechbio.com/

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywell or leach field [ 1 Answers ]

I had contractor come out to suck my septic tank out , he couldn`t find the access lid so he drilled a hole in top to get access . He didn`t plug up the hole right away , he just put a temperary lid on it , in the mean time I noticed the hole he dug to get to the tank was full of sewer smelling...

Drain field [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a problem with a drain field. This house was built in March 2008. We moved in at that time. Today my neighbor came over and asked if I new how to switch my lateral lines? I did not. He took me to a pipe sticking out of the ground and said that here was a switch that I needed to change...

How do you tell if your leach field or leach line is bad? [ 4 Answers ]

My septic tank backed up and I had it pumped out. The guy said that there were a lot of solids in the tank and asked when I had it pumped last. I have lived in the house for two years and had not had it done myself. The guy said that he thought my leach line MIGHT be bad but does not know. I...

Leach field [ 5 Answers ]

How big does my leach field need to be for a 3 bedroom home and no garbage disposal.I will have a 1000 gal tank

What happens if the drain field isn't working? [ 1 Answers ]

Just to test it, my husband filled the tub, and sure enough, the toilets bubbled, and the shower backed up. When the washer drained a short while earlier, the tub back filled at an alarming rate with brown, sludgy water. <GROSS!> I am quite concerned that, in fact the drain field may not be...

View more questions Search