Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rosie321 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Scared of getting things wrong
    I don't like answering questions in class because I don't want to get the answers wrong and look like a total idiot what should I do?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 01:58 PM

It happens, it's happened to me. The whole point in being in school is to learn so you aren't expected to know everything. If you do get an answer wrong and your teacher corrects you just laugh it off and say something funny like, "that's what I said." I'm not in school anymore, but I'll do that from time to time. Just don't take it personally.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 03:19 PM

Hi, Rosie321!

Yes, I agree. Don't take it personally. If I were you, I would try to answer the questions anyway. Even if you aren't correct, I'm sure that there's a lot of other students who feel exactly the same way about answering questions as you do.

By your making an attempt at answering, you'll be giving the other students an example to follow by being a leader, and showing that at least making an attempt at answering questions isn't so bad.

Thanks!
    Gina47 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2009, 12:39 AM

I hope you realise that students are not the only ones who are scared of getting things wrong. Some teachers are trying to perfect themselves as well and a good teacher will look for lots of strategies to allow for students learning to progress in any way necessary to achieve great results for their students. Another way of asking questions is to write it down and catch the teacher when he or she is not talking to the whole class. Hope this helps you. Don't be frightened to ask questions.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 07:05 PM

Everyone gets some questions wrong. I have had to go back over a problem myself when I have read it incorrectly and given my class the wrong information. I think it helps the students realize that even adults won't always be right and can make mistakes... :)

Maybe build your confidence with answering the most obvious questions. You will be less likely to be incorrect and the more you do it, the more comfortable you will be.

Keep in mind that most of the other kids are probably feeling the same way... they are likely to be more worried about themselves than whether a classmate happens to make a mistake now and then.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jan 11, 2009, 07:32 PM

I too have a fear or failure, not even just failing myself but any one. Parents, teachers, friends, and so on.

You may want to try something I did. Even in college, I stood up to answer my questions. Thinking to myself only of the answer, the one I thought it was. It can help.

Or, instead of thinking, "What if i'm wrong? : people might laugh, think im dumb, the teacher might dock marks... and so on."

Think this "EVEN IF i'm wrong i'm going to answer, because if you aren't wrong at least once in a while, then you're not learning."

Or as my Taekwondo instructor would say, "if you don't fall down when you are first learning to do spin kicks, reverse side kicks or a roundhouse then you aren'e trying hard enough. If you arnt trying hard enough, then your not learning."

Or the newer batman begins,
    Alfred asks "Why do we fall down sir??"
    ... "so we can learn to pick our selves up."

Yoda, "Do or do not, there is no try!" Either you keep trying till you get it, and learn from not doing it. Or you simply give up and not do it.

Also, Luke Skywalker "I don't believe it!"
    YODA"That is why you fail."

"We are what we think, all that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make our worlds." - Buddha.

If that don't work for you, there is therapy, no the counseler will not "fix" you, but rather give you specific tools to fix yourself. They are like yodas in that they do not solve your problems, they teach you how to use the tools to do so yourself.
    Cognitive Psychology may help as well, affirming positively, recognising your thinking patterns. Also, according to neuroplastisity if you start thinking getting up and answering a question is bad and you start feeling scared of that situation, your brain will acctaully start to wire it's self to recognise that kind of situation as bad. It can get really bad. Try to think positive! I failed to learn this and for about 10 years I paid for it, so please try not to do what I did, nothing.

I hope this helps, if not lend me a few more ideas about the situation, like what you are thinking, feeling, doing (nervous movements, paralyzed, etc.), and I'll see what I can do for you.

May the force be with you.;) (I can do an OK yoda.:))
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jan 11, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie321 View Post
    i dont like answering questions in class because i dont want to get the answers wrong and look like a total idiot what should i do?
    One more thing, if some one was to ever say, "your dumb/idiot/etc!" Chances are they are jelous that you had the guts to stand up and answer, or they are idiots (harsh but some people are just not smart. Being rude is never smart.), or they want attention on you so that if they make a mistake they can deflect from themselves. Even teachers.

;)
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 15, 2009, 08:22 PM

No one's perfect... students or teachers. Besides what's worse, feeling silly for making a mistake in class or not knowing the answer on a test because you never asked the question in class?
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Feb 12, 2009, 08:06 PM

My first year teaching, I had the same problem. Then I learned three little words that cured me

"I DON'T KNOW"

There is nothing wrong with telling the truth and telling a student that you don't know, but that you will research it and try to find an answer.

I teach 7th grade history, and the questions they come up with are always new from the students the year before and they are things that most people don't think of when researching a topic. You are not expected to know everything. Its okay to admit that you don't know the answer. Trust me, they will appreciate your honesty and they will respect you for it. Then when you have time, Google their question (or ask the question on wonderful websites like www.askmehelpdesk.com ;) ) The next time you see the student tell them.. "Hey by the way I did a little research on that question you asked and here is what I found out..."

The moral of the story: Its okay not to know everything, and its okay to admit it.

Good luck;)
    virginiawife Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2009, 09:38 AM
    I teach high school.

If I don't know the anwer--and that happens often, I just say--'I am not sure' or 'I don't know' but I also say "I will find out', I have a big picture of a bus (bought at a teaching store) and on it I wrote " PARKING LOT" on it. I use it for questions that come up that I either don't know the answer is, will be going over later, or want to make sure I cover at another point. This keeps me on track (students are really good at trying to change the subject) and helps me not to forget their questions--giving them validation. I have sticky/post it notes and when one of these questions comes up during class, I give the student the sticky note and ask them to write it down and they put it on the "PARKING LOT". I then follow up on the answers--often as the opening for the next day's class--it also helps to introduce the concepts, reinforces concepts, and so on as well as showing the students that you care about their thoughts, questions and concerns. Often I find sticky notes put anonymously on the Parking Lot and answer them as soon as I can--I always acknowledge the questions. This gives me time to collect my thoughts. Telling a student you don't know something only makes you look human! Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it wrong to want to end things with a friend cause you feel like your falling for [ 3 Answers ]

This girl is like my best friend and I've known her 4 about 3 yrs. I asked her out before but she said she "just wants to be friends". It was like the worse feeling ever and it almost messed up our friendship.we were all awkward around each other 4 about a week. And know I'm liking her again and I...

Jewish presentiment of things going wrong before WW2? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I was just wondering if anyone could point me to some specific books that might help me in getting a better understanding of why some jews felt the coming of Hitler as being far worse than it was in the beginning. Were there signs, both politically and socially that were signs of what...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

Things wrong with my pickup [ 1 Answers ]

I have a chevy 4x4 1/2 ton it has a ow noise in the frontend when it in 4 wheel drive .It had the noise when I first got it then I lost the rearend so I changed both front and rearend .and it still has the noise.The only thing that I have not done is change the springs. I'm open to any suggetions.

View more questions Search