biswa_bitan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2006, 12:00 PM
    New LAN connection

How would i be able to create a lan between my desktop and laptop[hcl],
    Please anybody help me
    Too urgent.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 22, 2006, 12:40 PM
    The simplest way is to use an Ethernet Cross-Over cable to go between the two computer's Ethernet ports.

You can get more fancy and buy yourself a small switch which you can connect each of the computers to the switch using a regular ethernet jack.

Do you know if you have ethernet jacks on your desktop and laptop? What are the models? Depending on how old you might need to buy a NIC for your desktop (or even your laptop).

You may also want to reference this thread:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput....html#poststop

Casey
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2006, 06:09 PM
    It would also help to explain WHY yo9u want to make the connection. That would have some bearing on the ways to do it.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jul 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
    If it's just for transferring files, and both computers have serial ports, you can use a null modem cable. Then, there are several terminal programs you can use to transfer the files between the two computers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless connection [ 2 Answers ]

I am considering buying notebook that has wireless capability. The problem is my old 7 year old computer. The router I was considering has a larger telephone connection than my DSL ordinary telephone size connection. Would an adaptor solve the problem and what is required after plugging in?

Windows ME LAN Connection [ 16 Answers ]

I am having problems connecting to the internet through a computer in my house. I have a LAN connection and the computer is running Windows ME but I am having problems connecting to the internet. All the protocols and everything are set right, I've tried to reset the ip, but I still can't connect...

Wireless connection? [ 4 Answers ]

Before I got my laptop reformatted the wireless connection on it was working fine. It works fine everywhere else but at my friend's house. I can pick up her wireless connection, the signal is very good, but for some reason I can't browse the internet. I tried repairing the connection but I get a...

Dsl connection [ 1 Answers ]

When connecting High Speed DSL connections,which connection is better,USB or Ethernet, I can use either one

View more questions Search