Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Sep 18, 2006, 06:44 PM
    I hear Alaska is beautiful. Lots of men? Oprah did a special a few years back. Almost made me wish I was younger and able to travel to Alaska.HEHE:)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 19, 2006, 12:07 AM
    Finally got some rain, its still humid, but the cool front is coming. Sometime I miss the Indiana falls, as the trees are so beautiful!!
    BORN IN A BLIZZARD
    RAISED IN THE SNOW
    CROSS COUNTRY SKIING
    IS THE THANG I KNOW
    DOWN HERE IN TEXAS
    THEY DON'T DO THAT THANG
    SO I'M A Going to BAR-B-QUE A MESS OF CHICKEN WANGS!!
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 19, 2006, 10:41 AM
    I'm just wondering, is everyone at work right now?

I am. I'm in my private office. I mostly just direct people and my guys are all busy, so I guess my job is done. I'm only on the 2nd floor so my view from the office is the top of a bunch of trees. I believe they turned the building heat on yesterday. It's not so cold.

Think I'll take a coffee though! Actually, I use to average 25 cups a day. Now, I look at the stains on my cup, think of my innerds and wonder, 'what next'?
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Sep 19, 2006, 11:58 PM
    Sounds like an awesome job, tell people what to do, I didn't know people got paid for that... lol.And 25 cups a day is scary and yet slightly amazing...

Sep 20, 2006, 06:44 AM
    When things go right, it's awesome.

When things don't go well, I have to make them right. That can get quite hairy.

It's not that different from this forum. I just give advice. Once in awhile though, I've got to get out of the office, fly 1000miles up North to a rinky-dinky little town just to fix things.

Last month I did just that. A contractor was unable to do his job. So I flew 1000 miles up North to help him do the job. It turned out that he didn't read the scope of work that I created and couldn't figure out how to hook up a control system. After I showed him, (it took about 5minutes) I got on the next plane and flew back.

Kind of reminds you of the forum, eh? That day, I missed my coffee!

Everybody's happy today!

I've got no panic e-mails and the heat is on.

Life is good!

Sep 20, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The day isn't over yet. Load up on coffee.
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Just took the grandson to school and now for a hot cup of jo and peace and quiet until my grand daughter wakes up and then its on...

Sep 20, 2006, 07:14 AM
    My 6 year old daughter goes to French Immersion school and I home school her in English. Everyone tells me how smart she is (but they probably don't realize she's in grade two because she's so small for her age). My wife always tells me, "Why isn't she smart like her friends".

Well, yesterday. I was reviewing her French spelling test for the first time and she nailed all the words. Afterwards, I reviewed her spelling practice and realized that her printing is very similar to mine- and at age six!

Maybe there is hope for her yet. :-)
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 07:32 AM
    My grandson is in kindergarten and I can't help with his homework as the words are... 'reliability'? What the.. I couldn't even spell my name in kindergarten> and he has a day of computer? What the.. Boy do I feel old and useless... nuther cup of coffee please? Sniff here come stinky diaper got to go...

Sep 20, 2006, 07:40 AM
    Go figure. When my daughter was in grade 1, her first spelling test had words like;

White, black, red, violet, aqua-marine,blue, etc. (except all in French).

I thought the words were some kind of joke for grade 1. I didn't review them and she got a zero on her spelling test. Was I shocked. So much for '**** and Jane'.

Her words for this test are:
    Un personne, les sables, les oreillers, etc...

I can spell them, but she has to read them to me first because I can't pronounce them!

Sep 20, 2006, 11:16 AM
    I have a grandaughter in grade 2 and one in senior kindergarten. The things that they know and are expected to know are incredible. They are expected to know how to read in senior kindergarten. What is grade one for these days? My how things have changed in a half a century. Talk about feel old.
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Old and useless... Hey all the kids think there smarter than me and don't need me for anything (except changing diapers of which I get no thanks for)

Sep 20, 2006, 11:56 AM
    It's my sons birthday on Sept 23. He'll be 1 year. My wife suggested that we don't celebrate but I want to if not just to have pictures so we can compare them to our daughter's pictures on her first birthday.

I was thinking of getting him a Disney video. That way our daughter (and myself) can enjoy it as well. Any thoughts?

I can't get into that changing diapers. My wife and I made a deal- I look after our daughters' school and activities and she looks after our son.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Sep 20, 2006, 02:37 PM
    Kindergarten has really changed, with the rapid improvement in technology, and more and more survey's finding out exactly how smart kindergartner's are, schools and school systems for that matter are pushing younger kids harder and harder. I find it really sad. The system is not that bad now, but I was having a discussion the other day, about how quickly sex reaches our young one's. With the advancement in technology and younger kids being able to actually use it, it's not a hard leap to believe that kids are learning about sex at too young of an age. I think it robs them of their childhood. I really do. I think all this advancement is good, and trying to improve our kids, but at what cost. Sometimes I look on their faces and I don't see kids, I see little people. I know it hasn't become that big of a problem yet, but I think it's increasing and sooner than you think it will peak enough to a point where it will become a problem. I think schools need to slow down. Whatever happened to finger painting, getting told stories, and having milk breaks. Childhood innocence comes around once, you can learn forever, so as far as trying to get our kids to reach goals faster I think it's ignorant. But that's the problem with society today, everyone wants things faster and better, but hardly anyone stops and smells the roses. Death is inevitable, speeding up life only makes it more quick.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 03:23 PM
    What a glorious day!!

I had 2 major exams in one day on Monday. Now, I only have 2 classes a week, but they both run over 5 very long days. Both exams just HAD to be on the same day, Monday!! Ugh!

Well, got my first nursing school results back.

I got a 94 on my Math for Nurses Exam

And ended up with a 92 on my Fundamentals Exam.

Yea ME!!

Shoo, that was one tough weekend.

Both tests were over 13 chapters, so that is 26 chapters in all!!

Sep 20, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Pretty early for mid-term exams, isn't it?

Sep 20, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Wizzkid89, I couldn't agree more. I think it is sad how fast the children seem to be growing. I daycare children and I am shocked to hear some of the things that come out of their mouths. I have had to take some of them aside and ask them not to talk about certain subjects in front of the younger children. I love to take them to the park and watch them let themselves go and play the way children are meant to. I fear that in time we will regret encouraging them to mature too quickly. Not all the fault of the school system. Some parents seem to be in too big of a hurry encouraging them too grow up too soon.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Oh, no, they are not mid-terms yet. Just major exams!!

Glad I got those 2 out of the way.

Sep 21, 2006, 06:46 AM
    Payday today!! :-)

Paid off my MC= $2640. Looks like pork & beans for the next two weeks! :-(
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Sep 21, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Children learn from exsample. How many parents actually have the time to spend with their children anymore? It's one of the reasons that we decided that I am going to stay at home with the kids. As much as I hate the sleep deprivation and lack of adult company I think it will be better for the kids in the long run. I will always have the time to talk to them and listen to what they have to say. Most parents work too much to realize what's happening in their kids lifes... Oh my... Sorry guys, forgot this was the lounge... lol.. I'm going to find a mountain dew or two... maybe three... and a three musketers and chill... no skittles for me... I don't like the way they stick to my teeth...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search