Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vamosj Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2006, 06:20 AM
    WIN98 not showing up on Network
    I am trying to network a XP and a 98SE computer using a router. Both get on the net just fine and the 98 see's the XP with no problem. For the life of me though I can't get 98 to show up on the network. Anyone got any clue's?

Thanks for your time.

:confused:
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 22, 2006, 07:04 AM
    You will need to enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP in your network settings.

Basically your Windows 98 is getting a DHCP address from the router and the default settings in 98 is to "Use NetBIOS from a DHCP server". Your DHCP server isn't giving you any WINS/NETBIOS settings. So you need to switch from "Use NetBIOS from a DHCP server" to "enable NetBIOS over TCP". This should fix your problem.

Jul 23, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Well I took a look at it and the NetBIOS is grey'd out and already check marked. Still not showing up on the network. It doesn't even see itself as being part of the network but it still see's my XP computer just fine... Any other ideas?

Thanks for the response by the way.

P.S... If you ever need any excel help let me know. I'm no master but I know enough to be dangerous. :-)
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 23, 2006, 08:36 AM
    Have you got anything shared on the 98 machine, they don't appear if nothing is shared!

Jul 23, 2006, 07:44 PM
    I've got the file and printer sharing on... There is no option that I have found to specifically share a certain directory (it's not under the properties). Even share or no share I should still be able to see the 98SE computer when I look at network neighborhood. I've fiddled around with it more and I still can't get anything of the 98SE computer to come up.

Jul 24, 2006, 04:47 AM
    What happens if you try to access the 98 from XP using the IP only... i.e.

\\192.168.1.1\

Assuming that your 98 IP is 192.168.1.1.

Also while you're at it... are both machines in the same subnet? Can you list their IP's?

Casey

Jul 24, 2006, 05:45 AM
    The IP's for the computers are.

XP - 192.168.15.3
    98 - 192.168.15.2
    Router - 192.168.15.1

When trying to connect to the 98 by typing in the IP it basically asks if I passed 3rd grade and can spell the numbers correctly... Basically doesn't connect at all.

:D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2006, 05:57 AM
    At a command prompt try typing:

PING 192.168.15.2

See if you get a reply. To share a resource, right click on the resource (a drive, folder, printer) and select Sharing.

Jul 24, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Ping from 98SE Computer to XP computer... Great.
    Ping from XP Computer to 98SE computer... Timed Out
    Possibly finding an answer to this riddle... Priceless... :-P

Right clicking on a drive/folder in 98SE does not have a "share" in it's pop up.

Jul 25, 2006, 01:03 AM
    Do you have a firewall installed on the 98 machine by any chance?

If so, turn it off and try the ping command again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Been too long since I worked with Win 98 to be sure about where the Share provision is. I suggest going into Windows Help on the Win 98 machine and looking up Drive sharing. Also search at support.microsoft.com.

But it may be, if no Share option is there, that you don't have it turned on.

Jul 25, 2006, 07:11 AM
    File and printer sharing:

From memory, right click network neighbourhood, select properties.
    Check that "File and printer sharing" is installed and selected. If it wasn't you'll have to reboot once making the change.

Jul 26, 2006, 01:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vamosj
    Ping from 98SE Computer to XP computer... Great.
    Ping from XP Computer to 98SE computer... Timed Out
    This is a big clue I think. If you can't ping the 98 box then something is blocking your pings on that box. Is there a firewall running on it? Do you have zonealarm or something like that on there? Also as StuMegu suggested, check your XP to see if you have any firewall turned on (either the built-in fw or a 3rd party fw).

Also try this... download KNOPPIX and burn to a CD. Then boot from that CD. KNOPPIX is a live OS on CD (Linux) that is self contained. It won't harm your current install of 98 at all. But what it would give you is a way to have another OS run on that physical machine without having to do any re-install which when you boot it will also get the same DHCP address (192.168.15.2) since it still uses the sam MAC address on that network card. You can verify the ip by typing "ifconfig -a" on the command line in KNOPPIX to make sure. You should be able to ping it from the XP machine. Now if you can't ping it then I would say the problem now shifts to the router. Try changing ports where your 98 is connected. To isolate the router as a problem get yourself a cross-over cable (or make one yourself) and connect the XP and 98 back to back. This will bypass the router as a potential source of problem. When you do that your IP's will change and will default to something else (something in the range 169.254.x.x). Make note of the new IP's and see if you can get the machines to ping each other, or see each other on the network.

Hopefully these techniques will narrow down the problem.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord showing apartment while occupied [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is legal for a landlord to show an apartment while it is still occupied. I have satisfied my lease and am moving in 30 days. She keeps giving my telephone number to people who are calling me wanting to view. I told her to stop so now she is going to just show the place...

NTFS Drive showing Unallocated [ 19 Answers ]

Hi Gang, My first question! XP SP2, 3 HDD's. 1st Drive Primary Active Fat32(0), 2nd Drive Data Fat32(1), 3rd Drive NTFS(2). The problem is that when I plug in the 3rd Drive, it shows up correctly in BIOS, also in ControlPanel/System/Hard Drives, but NOT in MyPC. And In AdminTools,...

CD-ROM not showing [ 3 Answers ]

I just cleaned up an older PC for a friend of mine. The last thing I ran was CHKDSK. Now the system doesn't want to recognize the CD-ROM. It has been working fine and if you insert a CD, it lights up like it is reading it, but the CD-ROM won't show up in either My Computer or Explorer. Any...

Old files showing up now [ 5 Answers ]

I used to download 'adult' files from the net... I have not done so for over a year... just today I found a folder titled 'metadata' and in it was several 'adult' titled files. Does anyone know where this metadata folder would have came from? It seems to be common with P2P file sharing...

Hard Drive not showing up [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I recently unpluged 1 of the IDE cables that was attached to one of my hard drives as I needed to attach my friend hard drive to transfer data from him. I have to do this as I all ready have 3 hard drives installed on my PC + a dvd writer Any way I have just re-attached my hard drive and it...

View more questions Search